Native English Speaker Desperately seeking ANY work

Nathan_Eire

Registered
I have just arrived in Buenos Aires and am looking at staying for 6-12 months. I have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Software Development and beginners spanish which i plan on improving on.

I have sent out many resumes for English Teaching jobs but most require a TESOL/TEFOL/SELTA qualification.

Can anyone help me with my little predicament??

you could try applying for jobs in IT instead...I think large companies like IBM, HP, etc are always looking for qualified, english speaking tech people

I have contacted a few of the big companies already but have only got automated responses so far.

Admitting that you are " desperatly" searching probably doesn't help.
Good luck.

'Desperatly' meaning i need any job ASAP in order to stay here. Looking for help thanks.

No offense to anyone on here but, I think it is good that the English teaching jobs are requiring some certification. To do a good job teaching English is not as easy as people think it is. And, it certainly isn´t for everyone.

Now, regarding your job search all I can really do is wish you good luck. It isn´t easy here. You may want to call businesses that would need your skill set and try to get in contact with their hr departments. (Don´t email. Actually talk to someone). If you don´t speak Spanish this would be harder to do. Keep checking craigslist. Maybe offer private lessons in computation or, something else to scrape by for a little. But, also have a backup plan if you end up needing to go home.

Nathan_Eire said:
'Desperatly' meaning i need any job ASAP in order to stay here. Looking for help thanks.

Im just saying, most companies wont hire you if you are saying that you are so desperate. Anyhow, yeah its tough to find a job. Here is a website that should help you. www.bumeran.com again, good luck.

Thanks Robinson. I understand exactly what you are saying, maybe the luck of the irish will prevail and i will find something.

Hello
I know people with a good level of English that are not certified teachers and do a great job, some of them local who has lived abroad for long time. A lot of people need English for many reasons and nobody has better knowlegde than an expat, moreover an expat friend of mine with only a few words in Spanish gives conversation classes in English and has a lot of people and is doing very well...yes I know it is better to be a teacher but who knows ....may be you can be an excellent teacher at least for a time
greetings
Reina

Why don't you try working on Elance or Odesk? It will be hard to get your first job there if you don't have any work history, so you will have to bid low. But once you get going you can work daily.

Back