Nearly Pickpocketed on the Bus

My daughter goes everywhere on her bicycle - no parking, no pickpockets, and great exercise.

A few loose tooth fillings, though, with all those cobblestoned streets.

SaraSara said:
My daughter goes everywhere on her bicycle - no parking, no pickpockets, and great exercise.

A few loose tooth fillings, though, with all those cobblestoned streets.

Oh and she likes it? I have been flirting with the idea of getting a bike to get around on. How does she find the roads?

She loves it - has been doing it for seven years. She has a good bike, two Kryptonite locks (ESSENTIAL) a top-rated helmet, and a reflective vest.

By now she knows all the bike-friendly routes in BA, but she also bikes on major avenues - nearly gave me heart failure once when I spotted her biking down Cabildo.

victoria said:
I don't know if they're available here, but my travel wallet has steel in the straps so it can't be cut off your body.

Awesome idea - unless of course it gets caught on a moving motorcycle, in the subway doors, etc. Then you´re headless.

Kind of like the aluminum tabs that Express US gives away to straighten your shirt collars. I say "no thanks" to wearing metal shanks next to my carotid artery!

I grabbed a guys hand as it was in my pocket on the cogreso subte line, I wouldt have noticed but I had just got paid and had 3000 pesos in it! I was speechless until I yelled at him asked what he was looking for bitch slapped him across the side of the head then threw him off the train and yelled and pointed at him. A cop on the platform called him over and me and even though I was on my way to do a show reluctantly went to tell him what happened, I decided that since I had 3 hours before the show I decided to press charges, otherwise for sure he just gets back on and targets someone else. I really need to work on my trash talk because the only thing I had to say to him was "If your mother knew she would be really disappointed," he was about 50yo.. anyway his two support crew came up to me to see if I was ok and I never thought at the time they were with him but they tend to work in threes and to cut a long story short the whole process took 4 hours and I missed my performance, luckily there were other cast there that filled in..

If you have never experienced robbery/pickpocketing in the US/Australia/UK then you're as lucky as those who have in BA. It does happen everywhere there are tourists, but it doesn't actually happen as often as headlines (or forum posts) might suggest.

I was mugged a few years ago in Nairobi, Kenya, 8am Sunday morning on a busy street, was literally picked up off the ground in a flash by 6 guys who took everything I had. When I emailed the news back to friends in Oz, one of them told me he'd been robbed twice at gunpoint - in Perth, Western Australia; who for those that don't know, is like a "small town" city.

And if you're carrying your passport & all credit cards around with you you're asking to get robbed, wherever you are.

But I certainly can vouch for cycling in BA, good on some many levels. :)

Would be fun if someone would rig a nice thick large wallet with a rat trap. Place in back pocket. Ride the train for 1/2 an hour... and wait for the snap :p

cbphoto said:
Would be fun if someone would rig a nice thick large wallet with a rat trap. Place in back pocket. Ride the train for 1/2 an hour... and wait for the snap :p
haha I wish someone would do that:)

Back