Necessary Steps for a Work Visa - Please Help!

NYKate said:
I just got word that my FBI Background check was rejected b/c of the fingerprints. Would anyone know how I can get this done quickly here? I'm stressed because, even though I married an Argentine, all of my things are in storage in the US and they will not move them here until I have proof that I am a permanant resident.

The only advice I can offer is telling you where I went and to ask for 2 sets just in case. The fingerprint cards can be picked up at the U.S. embassy and then I went to the nearest police station from there on the corner of Santa Fe and Gurruchaga (Plaza Italia). I realize it's not full proof every time, but at least they have a good track record!

So, thank you all for posting this information, but I must admit that I am still a little confused with it all. While you have explained to me much more than I knew before, is there a thread anywhere that contains:

a) a list of all documents required for obtaining a work visa (i.e. birth certificate, FBI background check, etc.)
b) what needs to be done with each document (translation, apostille, etc.)
c) where each of processes needs to take place (RNP, Argentina consulate, etc.)

So greatly appreciated,
Thank you much.

well, i can´t tell you how things work in the us, but i, as a german, needed to provide the following here:
- my criminal record from germany in the form of the apostille (so i don´t need the translation here, there is an international agreement about that, don´t know if the us also take part, but take a look at the hague apostille)
- my birth certificate in the form of the apostille
- my criminal record from argentina, go to the migracciones in retiro to apply, cost 25 pesos, you need a copy of your passport, ask for a tramita
- a certificado de domicil from the local police station, go to the next one, ask for it, tell them you need it for anses, pay 10 pesos, one of the next days a police officer will show up at your place to check if you live there and hand over the paper

hope that helps.

nehalecky said:
So, thank you all for posting this information, but I must admit that I am still a little confused with it all. While you have explained to me much more than I knew before, is there a thread anywhere that contains:

a) a list of all documents required for obtaining a work visa (i.e. birth certificate, FBI background check, etc.)
b) what needs to be done with each document (translation, apostille, etc.)
c) where each of processes needs to take place (RNP, Argentina consulate, etc.)

So greatly appreciated,
Thank you much.

Try this: http://www.justlanded.com/english/Argentina/Argentina-Guide/Jobs/Work-Permits

NYCKate! I had the same experience with my fingerprints, that they were rejected. And I am feeling a little stressed and desperate because it is the only thing blocking my visa application.

When I was getting my prints REDONE, there was another gal in the waiting room waiting to REDO her prints as well! It is ridiculous that if the FBI is going to have such high standards that they force the responsibility of making the prints onto foreign police stations (not once, but twice, etc) for US citizens abroad, especially when the US Embassy has several digital machines I have never seen used.

NYKate said:
I just got word that my FBI Background check was rejected b/c of the fingerprints. Would anyone know how I can get this done quickly here? I'm stressed because, even though I married an Argentine, all of my things are in storage in the US and they will not move them here until I have proof that I am a permanant resident.

This is not that simple.
You need somebody to sponsor you. The company has to apply at the Migration Office for being and accepted immigrant contractor. Then they must explain why they contract you instead of a citizen.
So, don´t waste your time at the DGM.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
This is not that simple.
You need somebody to sponsor you. The company has to apply at the Migration Office for being and accepted immigrant contractor. Then they must explain why they contract you instead of a citizen.
So, don´t waste your time at the DGM.
Regards

Thanks again for your advice, but it is still necessary for the individual to obtain the necessary documents. That's really what this thread is about. Once in a while a wannabe expat does surface who thinks it's possible to get a work visa and then go job hunting, but we slap them back to reality in short order.:D

Back