Necessary Steps for a Work Visa - Please Help!

JoeBsAs

Registered
Hello, I recently moved to Buenos Aires and am trying to determine what exactly I need for my work visa so that I can begin a new job. I have searched multiple threads, blogs, and websites and seem to find conflicting information. I would appreciate any advice from those who have been through the process. My questions are as follows:

1) I understand that I need a birth certificate and FBI background check from the United States. I requested these documents about a month ago and am still waiting for them to be received at my residence in Argentina. Do these documents need to be apostilled? OR can I submit them to immagraciones without the apostille.

2) Are there any other documents I need to request from the USA?

You'll need your birth certificate and police record, both apostilled in the country of origin. Once you've got these they need to be translated and legalised. And after that, its on your company to provide details on the contract they are offering, and their financially ability to do so.

Good luck!

You will also need a valid passport. Check to see when yours will expire. FBI report will take about 13 weeks. Keep in mind that if you are married, or have children they will also need a birth certificate, marriage certificate, criminal records reports, etc. As jp said, all documents must be apostilled. The translation to Spanish must be done in Argentina by a registered public translator. If the documents are translated abroad, they will have to be translated again in Argentina.

There is no need to hire a lawyer or any kind of assistant to apply for a visa, or for your DNI, and if you wish, you can do everything by yourself. However, sometimes retaining a lawyer may be useful if you do not have time to go personally to Migraciones (immigrations), or just want advise on the documents or procedures.

Doesn't the RNP also require a copy of the birth certificate for the DNI? Believing this (four years ago) I ordered a copy of my birth certificate from the Secretary of State of Illinios (who also performs the Apostille) and then had it translated in BA and legalized by the Colegio de Traductores Públicos. I was then able to have a photocopy of the translated birth certificate legalized by an escribano for submission to the RNP. I am not sure if the RNP actually requires that a photocopy be officially legalized, but I believe that's what the law stipulates. I do remember that they accepted the translated and legalized photocopies of my passport without additional certification or legalization by an escribano.

STElmoFranco said:
Who needs to apostille the birth certificate? The state of federal government?

The birth certificate needs to receive the Apostille from the state that issued it.

Could someone please explain how you can get an apostille on a document while you are physically in Argentina? My FBI check just arrived yesterday, and Im ready to get it translated and legalized, but if it must be apostilled I should do that first. However, I have no idea how to do this. I started the process last year and they said that the FBI check would NOT need to be apostilled. Now that it must be, and I am currently in Argentina, how can I get an apostille?

I cannot go back to the US until I have turned in the apostilled and translated FBI report, or else my report would be rendered invalid and I would need to order another, and I would be back in the same situation. What can I do?

Thanks!

Am pretty sure you'll need to send it back to the US to get the apostille. Maybe send it back via mail? Or ask family or friends to send it on for you?

You have to get it certified by the FBI and the send it to the State Department to get it Apostilled. I sent mine to the State Department and they took 3 months to send it back with a note saying that the FBI must certify the document first. Apparently, when you ask for your FBI report, you have to ask for a certification so that you can later get the document Apostilled. Everyone complains about Argentine immigrations but for me... by far... the FBI background check was by far the most frustrating part.

I just got word that my FBI Background check was rejected b/c of the fingerprints. Would anyone know how I can get this done quickly here? I'm stressed because, even though I married an Argentine, all of my things are in storage in the US and they will not move them here until I have proof that I am a permanant resident.

Back