Need a US Bank that is not painful to use from Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
State Department Federal Credit Union exists to help American expats. You can open an account with a foreign address and phone number, no VPN. Most of the military credit unions also are fairly understanding of the needs of expats. I use Penfed and Andrews, but there are a few others as well. Any other American bank considers you a traitor for living overseas and will treat you accordingly.

I think all major banks can detect if you are using a VPN. It is not just about having an IP address that is associated with a particular country. The story that you need to use a VPN for banking is primarily promoted by VPN providers.

When you access a bank's website from an Argentine IP address, the bank assumes that you are traveling. However, accessing it from a U.S. IP address via a VPN seems to be more suspicious.

I think all major banks can detect if you are using a VPN. It is not just about having an IP address that is associated with a particular country. The story that you need to use a VPN for banking is primarily promoted by VPN providers.

When you access a bank's website from an Argentine IP address, the bank assumes that you are traveling. However, accessing it from a U.S. IP address via a VPN seems to be more suspicious.
We diverged from the OP related to banking, to how to setup a new USA based google play store account. Having a US IP via VPN does allow you to do that.

I do not think it matters for banking either since I do not think they care. In general though, a reason to VPN is to obfuscate your real location at all times. Another top reason is to encrypt your traffic for the rare case where your current local network might be compromised. Of course always use VPN when at high risk on Airbnb or a cafe Wi-Fi. Finally if using a VPN, it is better to not use a VPN service provider. Instead mange the VPN server yourself.

Less important reasons are the occasional site that block international visitors. Can’t browse or shop HomeDepot from Argentina. Can’t manage my NY or MA ez-pass accounts.

Finally if using a VPN, it is better to not use a VPN service provider. Instead mange the VPN server yourself.
A typical computer user would never be able to do this.
He does not care about hiding his location, either.
So, all this hi-tech VPN talk does not make much sense here.

Simply set up all the accounts while you're in the States.

I'm aware of only one bank that insists on 2FA validation by sending an SMS to a non-voip number. I think this is more the exception than the norm these days. Elsewhere, you have the option to use application-based push notifications for authentication, or initially register with a normal phone number and later switch it to Google Voice.

Ah ok good to know. I called in once and they told me that my friend that already had the Google SIM could change over to an e-SIM without being in the USA but it might be because he already had the actual SIM.

Thanks for that helpful info. Yes, for my friend's that I send the Google Fi SIM, I activate it here in the USA and then I fed ex down to them. So the OP could maybe send one to his friend/family member's house and then they can activate and fed ex or DHL it down to him. ALL my local friends rave by it and works well.

Also, I will mention that Charles Schwab uses Zelle which works great too. It's just about the perfect account for me. A dream come true. (No, I don't work for Charles Schwab...ha, ha). Also, if you have a certain amount in your account, you don't even have to pay for any wire transfers. I don't pay for any outgoing wire transfers either and you can do it all ONLINE without having to call or go into branch.

One additional caveat. Not all cell phones are compatible with Google FI, most Iphones are compatible checklist before you subscribe , some android phones and models are compatible..!!

I'm aware of only one bank that insists on 2FA validation by sending an SMS to a non-voip number. I think this is more the exception than the norm these days. Elsewhere, you have the option to use application-based push notifications for authentication, or initially register with a normal phone number and later switch it to Google Voice.

Most people aren't going to be able to run a VPN on their own server, but connecting to a 4g or residential proxy is pretty easy.

Perhaps you have XP with EasyRinger a mobile phone service rental in the US or elsewhere, ideal for text and SMS, plus voice and date.

Most people aren't going to be able to run a VPN on their own server, but connecting to a 4g or residential proxy is pretty easy.
Sorry for potentially going back into a tech talk, but what is an advantage for an occasional user over a decent free VPN service like windscribe.com?

The popular VPNs have known IPs that why some sites block you when you're on a VPN.

If a VPN works for your banking website, go for that, if it detects the IP and blocks you then maybe a proxy would work. Less chances of detection. That's my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back