Need a US Bank that is not painful to use from Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fooze

Registered
I was hoping some of the US expats might be able to recommend a bank that lets you conduct your business without making you jump through 1000 hoops for everything you do.

I've been a customer of Wells Fargo for quite some time and everything I try to do is beyond ridiculously difficult. Any movement in the US or out they want to send me SMS codes but will not accept my Arg phone number. When they want to verify something over the phone, it always turns into a nightmare trying to prove my identify and explain to them that I can't just go walk into a branch somewhere because I'm outside the country. I recently got locked out of my account completely and was told they wouldn't restore access until I appeared in person at my "local branch". Apparently, I tried to spend too much of my own money at one time. I was luckily able to get things restored through a family member in the US, but it was a two-day fight with 3 or 4 bank reps to do it.

I don't get back to the US very often, so I would really like to be able to just log into my online banking and occasionally move some money from one account to another or make a payment without feeling like I'm going to be strip searched.

What banks do you all use?

Welcome to the new world. Complaining will not help. Nor will trying to bend the system. To live as an expat you must have a U.S. phone number that is accessible outside the U.S. This number cannot be voip (Skype). Most financial institutions will not send OP codes over anything but the major U.S. carriers. Some here use Magic Jack and I do not. I bite the bullet and have an ATT cell phone here. I do NOT claim that it is smart. I HAVE TO receive those codes...(try changing something like Amazon without this number)

I was hoping some of the US expats might be able to recommend a bank that lets you conduct your business without making you jump through 1000 hoops for everything you do.

I've been a customer of Wells Fargo for quite some time and everything I try to do is beyond ridiculously difficult. Any movement in the US or out they want to send me SMS codes but will not accept my Arg phone number. When they want to verify something over the phone, it always turns into a nightmare trying to prove my identify and explain to them that I can't just go walk into a branch somewhere because I'm outside the country. I recently got locked out of my account completely and was told they wouldn't restore access until I appeared in person at my "local branch". Apparently, I tried to spend too much of my own money at one time. I was luckily able to get things restored through a family member in the US, but it was a two-day fight with 3 or 4 bank reps to do it.

I don't get back to the US very often, so I would really like to be able to just log into my online banking and occasionally move some money from one account to another or make a payment without feeling like I'm going to be strip searched.

What banks do you all use?
Wells Fargo sucks. I bank with them too as well as all the other major USA Banks but get a Charles Schwab account.

https://www.schwab.com/checking. Hands down the BEST bank account for an Ex-Pat. Unlimited ATM fee rebates. That's my daily card I use when I travel around the world. I'm on the road over 100+ days a year and this is perfect. They always rebate.

I still have my TMobile phone service which is perfect. FREE unlimited data in almost every single country I travel to. I also use Skype, Google Fi, Google Voice as well. But you should be good with those. I haven't had any issues banking with Charles Schwab account and Tmobile which is fabulous. I'll never give my TMobile account.

If you happen to be retired, then open an account with BANCO CIUDAD which is free for seniors. Transfer money from the US via Western Union which deposited in pesos at the current exchange rate. Pay everything with a debit card from Banco Ciudad and forget about dealing with cash. Most businesses use MercadoPago.

Jumping through hoops in necessary because of rampant online bank fraud. I have lots to go through to sign into my credit union account in the USA, but I know it is for security purposes. All my money is safer in that account. I transfer what I need here for a couple of months.

Anyone has XP with ExpressVPN to log into a US server with the Arg cell phone and download say the WU app, that has lower rates? Or open a US Google account to access US Play Store and download a bank app?

i've been a WF customer for a long time, living overseas has never been an issue but then i have maintained a US address (parent's house) and a US cell number for any verfications.

Wells Fargo sucks. I bank with them too as well as all the other major USA Banks but get a Charles Schwab account.

https://www.schwab.com/checking. Hands down the BEST bank account for an Ex-Pat. Unlimited ATM fee rebates. That's my daily card I use when I travel around the world. I'm on the road over 100+ days a year and this is perfect. They always rebate.

I still have my TMobile phone service which is perfect. FREE unlimited data in almost every single country I travel to. I also use Skype, Google Fi, Google Voice as well. But you should be good with those. I haven't had any issues banking with Charles Schwab account and Tmobile which is fabulous. I'll never give my TMobile account.
I was reading that Schwab is very good for international use. I'll have to see what they require to open an account. I want to get all my money out of Wells Fargo.

I did find a VOIP number that I was able to use to receive texts from Chase, where I have a single credit card account. Hopefully, the same will work with Schwab. Since having so much trouble with WF, I'm thinking maybe I don't want to put everything in one place and open one account with Chase and one with Schwab.

Anyone has XP with ExpressVPN to log into a US server with the Arg cell phone and download say the WU app, that has lower rates? Or open a US Google account to access US Play Store and download a bank app?

Also someone mentioned that one can instruct the bank to send the 2stepverification code to an email instead of sending it to a cell phone.

also

If you're ok with rather low tech banking capabilities, I find that my local small-town bank is great. Zero bureaucracy, zero BS, and if there's a problem you can speak directly with someone at the bank. Before you go to Argentina just introduce yourself and explain your situation and get contacts with people who can fix your problems should something go wrong.

I use ExpressVPN and I did exactly what you say with the WU app, until WU decided for no apparent reason they no longer wanted my business. It worked ok, I was only able to make bank to WU transfers, not via CC, but I think that was for other reasons (some new verification my CC doesn't support).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back