Need a US Bank that is not painful to use from Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone has XP with ExpressVPN to log into a US server with the Arg cell phone and download say the WU app, that has lower rates? Or open a US Google account to access US Play Store and download a bank app?
I have opened new google accounts, and changed my international location of google accounts while using a USA VPN server to download from the USA play store. Though I do not find it necessary to spoof IP location with the VPN to simply download an app as long as the play store (or Apple Store from iPad) account is a USA based account.

I always use the WU app, downloaded USA google play store or Apple USA store with have VPN enabled. Not sure if getting a better rate.

No experience with expressVPN. I build and destroy my own VPN servers using Algo as often as needed in a few minutes. I host them on AWS and Digital Ocean droplets. AWS has a free 1 year trial, and DO has 2 month free. Algo is easy to install on your computer to be able to do the same. Possible from Windows if you already have Windows Subsystem for Linux, though might be quicker to deploy it from from Google Cloud Shell. I only use the WireGuard VPN protocol, but IPsec is an option. https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Finally running Tailscale on family members in USA, and turning on as an exit node when needed is the most modern and simple way to truly spoof your location. Based on WireGuard. https://tailscale.com/kb/1103/exit-nodes/

Also someone mentioned that one can instruct the bank to send the 2stepverification code to an emai
My Chase credit card, and I think Citibank cards will send 2FA via email. I do not have any bank checking/savings accounts that will do this.

Last edited:
Also someone mentioned that one can instruct the bank to send the 2stepverification code to an email instead of sending it to a cell phone.

also
I've tried that. Wells Fargo won't let me validate to an email address. I know it did at one point, but they seem to have removed that option.

I've tried that. Wells Fargo won't let me validate to an email address. I know it did at one point, but they seem to have removed that option.
Can you sign up for an e-SIM with Google Fi? I got all my friends in Buenos Aires a SIM card with Google Fi and they love it. They ALL have USA Banks including at Wells Fargo and Bank of America and it works perfectly. Try Google Fi. I believe if you have an iPhone you should be able to get an e-SIM so don't have to hassle with getting the SIM. I usually get it for them, ship to my USA home and then Fed Ex it down there or bring when they come. They are ALL using that method for 2FA.

I just applied for an account with Charles Schwab which was incredibly (and surprisingly) easy. I was astonished that it would call my Argentina cell phone to give me security codes. It doesn't seem to approve automatically, but it didn't ask me for anything more than my address, SS number, and phone number. Didn't have to send any documents.

I just applied for an account with Charles Schwab which was incredibly (and surprisingly) easy. I was astonished that it would call my Argentina cell phone to give me security codes. It doesn't seem to approve automatically, but it didn't ask me for anything more than my address, SS number, and phone number. Didn't have to send any documents.
Yes, I'm telling you they are the BEST!!!! You'd have to be a moron not to use them as an Ex-Pat. You are welcome. :)

Can you sign up for an e-SIM with Google Fi?
Yes, Google Fi is the best for traveling outside USA. Especially if one goal is to get 2FA codes. Though the Google Fi physical SIM must be first enabled while near a USA tower, from any old borrowed phone then later inserted into your phone in Argentina. Before getting on plane or shipping from US. Google Fi ESim is not able to be activated from Argentina or anywhere away from a USA Tower.

Yes, Google Fi is the best for traveling outside USA. Especially if one goal is to get 2FA codes. Though the Google Fi physical SIM must be first enabled while near a USA tower, from any old borrowed phone then later inserted into your phone in Argentina. Before getting on plane or shipping from US. Google Fi ESim is not able to be activated from Argentina or anywhere away from a USA Tower.
Ah ok good to know. I called in once and they told me that my friend that already had the Google SIM could change over to an e-SIM without being in the USA but it might be because he already had the actual SIM.

Thanks for that helpful info. Yes, for my friend's that I send the Google Fi SIM, I activate it here in the USA and then I fed ex down to them. So the OP could maybe send one to his friend/family member's house and then they can activate and fed ex or DHL it down to him. ALL my local friends rave by it and works well.

Also, I will mention that Charles Schwab uses Zelle which works great too. It's just about the perfect account for me. A dream come true. (No, I don't work for Charles Schwab...ha, ha). Also, if you have a certain amount in your account, you don't even have to pay for any wire transfers. I don't pay for any outgoing wire transfers either and you can do it all ONLINE without having to call or go into branch.

Last edited:
I have opened new google accounts, and changed my international location of google accounts while using a USA VPN server to download from the USA play store. Though I do not find it necessary to spoof IP location with the VPN to simply download an app as long as the play store (or Apple Store from iPad) account is a USA based account.

I always use the WU app, downloaded USA google play store or Apple USA store with have VPN enabled. Not sure if getting a better rate.

No experience with expressVPN. I build and destroy my own VPN servers using Algo as often as needed in a few minutes. I host them on AWS and Digital Ocean droplets. AWS has a free 1 year trial, and DO has 2 month free. Algo is easy to install on your computer to be able to do the same. Possible from Windows if you already have Windows Subsystem for Linux, though might be quicker to deploy it from from Google Cloud Shell. I only use the WireGuard VPN protocol, but IPsec is an option. https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Finally running Tailscale on family members in USA, and turning on as an exit node when needed is the most modern and simple way to truly spoof your location. Based on WireGuard. https://tailscale.com/kb/1103/exit-nodes/

My Chase credit card, and I think Citibank cards will send 2FA via email. I do not have any bank checking/savings accounts that will do this.
I am in awe. Good lord! I have some research to do!!

I am in awe. Good lord! I have some research to do!!
Well it's not overly complicated. Wireguard and Algo's implementation guide of setting up your own VPN is pretty great. The one I recommend the most. Though Tailscale is also amazing, even easier, stable and well known as safe and legit. So confirm everything in the news. Just ask a family or friend to install tailscale on their home computer. Follow the instructions for configuring them to be an exit node. They need to trust you to route all your internet-ing thru their connection. Free account vs a team account means you both login to Tailscale with the same credentials. You also must trust Tailscale not to have any security breach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back