Need help from Aussies

French jurist

Registered
I am translating something from english to french (australian website).

I have this text : "balls for Soccer, Rugby, AFL, Auskick, Rugby League, Gridiron, and American Football."

I have no problems with the terms except that I don't understand the difference between rugby and rugby league. Clearly from the text I was given, the balls are different in-between those two games.
In my northern hemisphere culture, both terms refer to rugby, so I don't really understand.
What is the difference since the balls are supposed to be different ?
Note : I know that the rugby league is supposed to be the league organizing the teams, games and so on but in this case it seems that rugby league means a very specific term. The original text in english is poorly written so there might be an error in the original text, that's a possibility.

I think it's the same thing, just a repetition in the text because it's written poorly.

Rugby Union and Rugby League are two different types of games, both are rugby but there are different rules. An obvious one is scrums in Union, no scrums in League.

What I don't understand is why should this be a question for Aussies, both Union and League rugbies are international sports

NoPat said:
Rugby Union and Rugby League are two different types of games, both are rugby but there are different rules. An obvious one is scrums in Union, no scrums in League.

What I don't understand is why should this be a question for Aussies, both Union and League rugbies are international sports

Thanks. I asked Australians because the website I am translating is Australian and I was wondering if it was possibly a local specificity. But it's just a poor typing it seems. Thanks !

They are different derivations of the the original Rugby Union, both are played in Australia and other parts of the world as separate codes in different leagues. The main difference in the balls I believe is that the Union ball is a bit wider.

With regards to the others there is no difference b/w Gridiron and US football, Gridiron is the name given to US Football and Auskick is an organization in Australia that starts kids off playing Aussie football so it is the same, maybe smaller sized balls for the kids possibly.

cheers

Rugby League varies from Rugby Union in the following main ways.
- After each tackle the ball is played between the legs of the tackled player(in a quasi set play, like a mini scrum or free kick) and from that set piece the defenders have to retire 10 meters from the tackle restart.

- There are 6 tackles before the ball is handed over, generally it is kicked on the 6th tackle.

- There are 2 less players on the field (13 in all) the 2 breakaways/loose forwards are not in the game, so it tends to be much quicker and more try scoring opportunities because it is more open.

Hope that helps.

The grand final is on this weekend and you will have the opportunity to see the Mighty Roosters in full flight!!

French jurist said:
I am translating something from english to french (australian website).

I have this text : "balls for Soccer, Rugby, AFL, Auskick, Rugby League, Gridiron, and American Football."

I have no problems with the terms except that I don't understand the difference between rugby and rugby league.:

Yes, as explained above Rugby League is separate from Rugby Union.
Here are some links that may help your translation:

The ball has a greater circumference in Rugby League

Help to differentiate the codes (in French)

Back