Need help - moving to BA with Kids

Anwar

Registered
Hello all,

We're moving to BA next summer and were researching the right schools and area to live. Can anyone suggest a good International school? We have 4 kids (ages 15 to 6). We don't speak Spanish as yet and were looking for an English program. Also, any suggestions on the right area to live would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Anwar

Hey there Anwar!

I'm in the same boat as you (moving to BA next summer) and we have a 4 year old son.

I don't have any advice for you yet - just wanted to say, "hi" :) If you decide on a school, it would be great if you posted it here!

Dear Anwar,

I am a single mom with a 11 year old son. We have been here a year from the states. And I have lots of experience with families moving internationally but I would need to know more about you.There are wonderful areas in the city and in the suburbs. Why are you coming? What do you need for your children and yourselves? Surabhi

I would suggest anybody wanting an International school to check out BAICA, Buenos Aires International Christian Academy. It is a PK3 to 12th. grade school that follows the US calendar, curricula and most of the teachers are US missionaries. It does also comply with the Argentine school program but most subjects are taught in English. It is a small school with very caring teachers. Just to clarify there is more than one option if you are considering an American school. Their website is www.baica.com. Let me know if you need more information about the school, I send my children there and I am really pleased both with the academic level but with the caring atmosphere.

I hope you find the right school. It is an important decision.

Take care.

Anwar (and Validitorian):

We just moved from Portland, Oregon to Baires with a 7 year old and a 9 year old who speak English and Chinese, but not Spanish!!

Anyway, here is what we have experienced so far regarding schools:

1) It is almost impossible to figure out from overseas. You can't get people to answer email and you can't learn much about fees, etc. You just have to do it face-to-face.

2) Your choices are mostly private schools, the question is do you do one of these three: a) a private school with a lot of expats; b) a bilingual private school (English and Spanish) with few to no expats (mostly Porteno children); or c) private school only in Spanish.

3) We chose option b) above. We didn't want them to go to the American school, for instance. I mean, why leave the US? They are attending a private bilingual school in Belgrano that is Spanish and English. The staff were excited about having the girls as expats, the students have all been welcoming, and they were fine with us starting so close to the end of the school year.

4) This brings me to my next point--when you are moving down here? If you expect to go to one of the very expat-heavy schools, they will be fully enrolled. It is very difficult to drop in during the middle of the school year and go to school. The school year here starts in Feb. and runs until Dec. You need to coordinate your move so it makes sense with your kids grades and ages. (Some of the expat-heavy schools keep a Northern-hemisphere schedule though, so beware.)

5) We moved here in October, and our girls were just starting 2nd and 4th grade in the States. When we got here, we decided to have them end the Spanish school year in 1st and 3rd to get used to the Spanish. They will have a few months in school and then a few months of summer sports to get their Spanish up to speed. Once they start in Feb., they should be ready to go.

6) Language requirements for school. Depending upon the age of your kids, you will want to think about where they attend. 4th grade is about the point where they really start studying history, literature, etc. and will need a real base in the language to study in a Spanish school. If you have older kids, you may have to find an all English program, which will limit your options. Anything under 4th grade shouldn't be a problem.

7) Prepare your kids for uniforms.

8) If you have girls, remember that field hockey is the big sport here and they'll be wearing girly uniforms to school (my oldest was NOT happy).

9) Belgrano has more schools than any in-city neighborhood I know. When you get here, walk around, see where the kids go, see the schools, ask to talk to people. That's the best way to do it.

Anyway, that's what I've learned so far!! If you want to learn more about what we've experienced doing this as a family move, you can check out our blog at micheleandtom.com

Good luck and feel free to contact if you need more info.

Hello. My name is Carlos.
I just want to inform you, I am offering Spanish classes for all levels in Buenos Aires.
I am a native Argentine, naturalized American, who lived in the US for 26 years.
I studied languages at the University of Rosario, 300 Km. from Buenos Aires. In 1980 I moved to California. There I took English as a Second Language, Spanish Literature and Simultaneous Interpretation at the UCLA. I have been working as an Interpreter and as a Language Professor for a good part of my life. In the US, I taught Spanish to English speakers, and English to Spanish speakers. I have taken training courses on Teaching Techniques. I teach with the same system that the US uses to teach their Foreingn Services (FSI)
What I teach my students is quickly stored in the long-term memory. My students advance fast, and with minimum effort. And I stand by my teaching. If for any reason, a student lags behind, I give him/her support classes free of charge until he/she catches up. That is my guarantee for a successful learning. I do follow the curricula most Institutes follow, but I prepare my lessons custom made to the specific needs and expectations of the student.
My regular rate is $25 per hour (Arg. pesos) For immersion or intensive courses, please ask for quote.
I cover the whole city of Buenos Aires, and some parts of the Greater Buenos Aires area.
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact me, either by email, at [email protected], or by phone at 15 6361 1308. You´ll be glad you did.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Carlos

Back