Need Help On Money Situation

I agree...ditch both your school and your B&B. They're just trying to take advantage of tourists who don't know better. Book through Air B&B (you may even find your long-term rental that way), and you can avoid paying for your lodging inside the country at all. It's likely you'll be renting from another American in dollars who only uses their apartment in BA part time. Their rates should be adjusted accordingly because of the dollar transaction. I think it's much more secure than trying to handle so much cash once you're in BA. Hoard those dollars, but use them for the fun stuff.
There are a zillion posts on this site here about language schools, but I think they are mostly a rip off and a waste of time. Get a private tutor for the two of you and you'll learn more in at least half the time. Adrian Crom is an excellent tutor based out of her home in Recoleta. I know she charges in pesos!!! You can find her contact info here if you do a search.
Best of luck and have a great trip.

Yes, sorry Adriana Crom...auto correct glitch (at least it didn't turn into an Emoji). Here's her contact info, since its handy now:
[email protected]
4814-0792

I hope the OP has a safe place in Europe to stash all those euro he'll be withdrawing daily in Europe from his US bank account until he flies to BA. A third to a half year's worth of this couple's living costs in euro cash is an awful lot to hide when you're not staying in your own home and don't have a security box where you are. (I presume they're traveling in Europe without residency and a bank account there.)

I also think he'll have to wait until he's back in the US to change his lousy bank. I wouldn't risk switching accounts- better to have it in a bank that he can already access online and so keep track of its deposits and balance.

I would contact, however, in his position HSBC in the city that he's currently in to see if they might possibly have a way to help him quickly. They're good at setting up EU bank accounts for people who've already got an US-located account with them. They may help out in other ways too.

Are other expats paying an extra "service fee" at the xoom locations?

I arrived a month ago and I've used xoom twice to get USD from home (EXTREMELY grateful to this forum for telling me about xoom!!). Twice I used the xoom office in Belgrano, and both times the guy tried to charged me "service fees" of 70 and 50 pesos respectively.

For example, I sent myself $500 USD, paid $15 in fees online. I am supposed to get 4950 pesos and according the xoom customer service line, she said I do not pay additional fees at the branch itself. But when I go tot he branch he would write on a separate piece of paper "-50 pesos" and then tell me to agree to recieve 4900 pesos. Both times I nodded my head just to get the larger amount in-hand, then asked about the service charges, and both times he initially refused and then gave me back the service fees very reluctantly.

I may need to use this location in the future, and there is no alternative service other than xoom to get blue rate FX rates on USD here.

So I ask the others on the forum here, do you agree to pay these small fees when you use a xoom branch? Am I burning a bridge by creating a fuss (for just 50 pesos)? It seems like I may be doing so but looking for thoughts.

Regardless of whether you pay for your lodging and classes in dollars or pesos, you want to start maxing out the ATM machines where you are in Europe to arrive with euros at Argentina. If you are going to here for 6 months, you might want to get a cash advance while in Europe to bring more cash, and maybe book now and go directly to an apartment to avoid the lower security of a B&B (?) with daily housekeeping etc. On airbnb or any of the local agencies here you can ask before booking if the apartment has a safe.

Dollars are more in demand than euros.

Let me add to the echo chamber already going on that it will be best to drop that Language Institute and the B&B, with their full knowledge of why you guys are doing it. Regardless of the dollar situation any business doing business in this country is legally required to take the local currency.

Best to both of you. Once you make it here let us know to give y'all a proper welcome.

Back