Money Situation In Chile

thorsten

Registered
I'm going to Santiago de Chile for a few days and wonder:
1. Is there a parallel market to exchange US$ to Pesos like here or do they have a "real" conversion rate?
2. Is it possible to get US$ out of ATMs?
3. Are credit cards widely accepted (restaurants/shops)?

Thanks!

I'm going to Santiago de Chile for a few days and wonder:
1. Is there a parallel market to exchange US$ to Pesos like here or do they have a "real" conversion rate?
2. Is it possible to get US$ out of ATMs?
3. Are credit cards widely accepted (restaurants/shops)?

Thanks!

I am in Santiago now and have spent much of the past four months in Chile.

1) There is no parallel market, but the Chilean peso has been slowly declining v. the dollar in recent months.

2) You cannot get US dollars out of ATMs here. You can withdraw money and go to a cambio and buy dollars without difficulty. The double exchange costs you a little, but the advantage you'll get out of the dollars in BA more than offsets that.

3) Credit cards are very widely accepted here. Restaurants will even let you add the tip (which is still rare in Argentina).

Don't! the waiters rarely see tips added to the slip. Propina siempre en efectivo.

In Chile, they specifically ask if you want to add it. In fact, the bill most often comes with a calculation of "10 por ciento sugerida," though it's not obligatory.

In Chile, they specifically ask if you want to add it. In fact, the bill most often comes with a calculation of "10 por ciento sugerida," though it's not obligatory.
You are right, I forgot to emphasize "(which is still rare in Argentina)"

I do know a little about Chile, where I have lived for almost three years.

Back