Need some bike advice

citygirl

Registered
I have decided to buy a bike for some exercise (since I hate running, this seemed a reasonable alternative). I am, however, bike stupid.

So internet strangers - give me some advice.

1) Do I want a mountain bike as opposed to a touring bike? Since it's predominantly for exercise, my thought is that mountain bike makes most sense.

2) Is there a brand I should look at or avoid?

3) Um.. anything else really? I'm about 5'7 (or 170 cm) - what size bike do I want?

I will go to the bike store by my house on Monday but since I don't want to spend a fortune and if/when I leave Argentina, the bike won't be coming with me, it seems that Mercado Libre and a used bike would be a good option.

citygirl said:
I have decided to buy a bike for some exercise (since I hate running, this seemed a reasonable alternative). I am, however, bike stupid.

So internet strangers - give me some advice.

1) Do I want a mountain bike as opposed to a touring bike? Since it's predominantly for exercise, my thought is that mountain bike makes most sense.

2) Is there a brand I should look at or avoid?

3) Um.. anything else really? I'm about 5'7 (or 170 cm) - what size bike do I want?

I will go to the bike store by my house on Monday but since I don't want to spend a fortune and if/when I leave Argentina, the bike won't be coming with me, it seems that Mercado Libre and a used bike would be a good option.
Find a good used bike, nasty looking, but mechanically great. [any good bike store has used] keep it simple, you don't need a mountain bike in the city, [it's a joke]. Any nice new and flashy bike is a target and they will take it right out from under you.

ghost said:
Find a good used bike, nasty looking, but mechanically great. [any good bike store has used] keep it simple, you don't need a mountain bike in the city, [it's a joke]. Any nice new and flashy bike is a target and they will take it right out from under you.

Agreed 100%.

1) Don't go to just one place and buy immediately. Shop around a little.

2) Buy a Kryptonite lock. (or something similar) The chains with locks are easily broken by twisting the bike until the chain breaks.

3) There are a lot of cobble stone streets in Buenos Aires. I love skinny tires on a bike, because you go faster, easier, but unless you are absolutely sure you won't ever ride on a cobble stone street, you should buy a bike with tires that are wider than the width of two fingers.

4) Flashy stuff will get stolen, but you might consider getting a simple basket or something to carry stuff in case you want to right to and from the supermercado or a Sunday feria or the store... Loading everything into your backpack isn't always the greatest. (This definitely depends on the person and what they want in a bike.)

5) Buy a helmet. Mine's in the States and probably won't protect my head if I get hit, but one in Buenos Aires might be a good idea.

suerte

If you are not an urban biker with experience (and your self-description as bike stupid indicates you are not), then your may want to reconsider your decision to buy a bike and use it for exercise riding in BA.
As far as I can tell, (and I 'd appreciate input from those with more experience) there is a second rate bike path along Av Libertador from the Palermo parks supposedly to Park Lezema in San Telmo, but I found that the path ended before reaching San Telmo due to construction (around Av Cordoba things get messy). Moreover, biking alone around Park Lezema is probably not a good idea for a gal. There is also the ecological reserve behind Puerto Madero for a bumpy dirt path and the circle around the lake in Palermo's 3 de Feb park for a crowded shared path. Adjacent to the reserve the wide sidewalk along the Costa Nera looked feasible, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Other than that there are no paths so it's the streets with cars, taxis, buses and motorcycles in ascending order of danger. Riding in the street here is treacherous. Vehicles will generally not be considerate (what else is new). For example, vehicles coming from behind will not allow you much space as they approach so that if you move out of your line for a bump, hole or other obstruction, there's a good chance you would move into the path of an oncoming vehicle. As gas is used and velocity may be low the engine noise is not easily audible especially with a helmet on... and to ride here without a helmet is insane. Also, you should not casually negotiate around stopped traffic when you see an open lane on the side of the street as motorcycles may come whizzing by (they, too, see the open lane and can get there much faster).
In sum, if you just want to use the bike for exercise you might want to reconsider and walk or join a gym. If you do stay with cycling, a used bike and good lock is the way to go.

Thanks all - will grab a bike person to go look at bikes with me.

And Darmanad - I live right across from the park so plenty of biking opportunities for me there. And due to my rather odd schedule, I'll probably be doing my exercise long before the average porteño gets up ;) I already belong to a gym and am in shape but hoping to mix it up.

I have some friends that have had great experiences biking here - I'll ask the exact route but I know they usually go up to San Isidro.

And yes, I'm a helmet kind of girl. So that will definitely be a purchase.

Hi, according to your heigh the frame should be 16. They are not so easy to find. An 18 will be confortable anyway.
I suggest you look for the less expensive of the good stuff. The brand of the bike isn´t important as far as this mean the brand of the frame.
The real important thing are the gear. They must be Shimano. The models has changed since I stop biking but there used to be a model called acera x wich was unexpensive and with a razonable quality.
Brakes are very important, the bike must have v brakes.
However, I suggest you reconsider about biking in this city, I was an amateur competitor and I used to ride over 800 kms a week in this city and I decided to quit because it is too dangerous. Whatever taxi drivers do against you, they do it just for fun, it is never an accident.
Regards

I highly advocate riding a bike here. Obviously one must use caution, keep your eyes and ears open, and watch out in particular for those damn taxistas and collectivo drivers. But my life here can be plainly divided into two segments: before and after bike. It's the easiest, fastest, most pleasant and most convenient way to get around town. As long as you don't live in or have to ride around centro area all the time (yuck) it's fantastic. The drivers are actually more respectful of bikers than of pedestrians, you just have to watch out for parked cars opening doors, keeping your purse tied in (if you carry one), getting a kryptonite or U-lock, and those damn taxistas. I rode a Vairo Metro for awhile and LOVED it (was stolen), but otherwise have had gearless playeros and they have also been fine. This city is really pretty flat. It sounds like Bajo_cero's odds of being messed with and finding trouble went up because he was out so much. I used to ride around 100km a week for a commute and never had trouble. Good luck and have fun!

I vote for yes to a bike as well!

I live a few blocks away from you Citygirl and I love my bike. Cross libertador and you're into the park, it's great. On the weekends they close the path around the lake where the golf course is to buses, so I do that loop quite a bit. Sunday is definitely the best day to ride the streets, I go out to Urquiza, around Devoto, Chacarita, everywhere, no problems on sundays. During the week I basically hit the park and do the circuits there.

I have a cheapy bike, it has 21 gears, I change gear maybe once a year. You do not need gears in this city, it is so flat -- there's basically one hill near me, that goes up to Belgrano, and even that I don't change gears for since it's only a block or so and gets your heart pumping.

One of the guys in my building just bought a Vairo, it is sweet. He said 1300 or 1400 pesos, has front schocks and everything. i'm seriously tempted. But even so I'd probably hang on to my cheapy and use it for my trips to Barrio Chino, where I can lock it up anywhere and not really care if it's not there when I get back.

There's a few bike shops around, the one on Libertador is super expensive. There's another in P Hollywood that is ok, and then there's one in Ciudad de la Paz at about Lacroze that has good prices.

One of my friends got a playera for 350 pesos last year, I can drop her a line and ask where she got it -- I have a feeling it was Ciudad de la Paz. If I were you, I'd buy one in about that price range, see if you use it, see if you enjoy it, and then if you do maybe upgrade next year or later this season.

Awesome Syngirl - I was hoping you would chime in. I blame you for having told me about how fun Sunday bike rides are;):p

If you could find out where your friend got her bike, I would much appreciate it. I figured something basic was the way to go and then if I get addicted, which I doubt, I could upgrade.

Back