Need Spanish speaker to help me to move to BA

It is clear from your posts that you are entirely unprepared for what awaits you in Buenos Aires. This city, especially in relation to foreigners, is an example of buyer beware in the extreme. If you come down here with your current trusting and open perspective, you will be stripped of much time, energy and money.

My strong suggestion is you do lots of research on your own, from the internet in general and using the search function on this forum. Strike up an online friendship with a few members of this forum that have been here for many years and have posted productively and coherently dozens of times. Ask them your specific questions - not general questions, like "how do I take a taxi from the airport." Specific questions that you can't find the answers to online.

I also suggest that you rent an Airbnb for your first month or two here. Airbnb is mostly risk-free, although sometimes the pictures of the apartments are "optimistic." Apartment rental in BA is like navigating a den of thieves and you will encounter great difficulty if you rent an apto on your own at your nascent stage of BA development. If you choose to rent an Airbnb, do not, I repeat do not, accept your host's invitation to change your dollars for pesos. They rip you off every time. Consult someone on this forum where to change money. Be suspicious of your host regarding just about everything they offer, except extra soap.

You do not necessarily need a spanish speaker to navigate BA, although it would be helpful. More useful would be assertiveness, diligence and a healthy suspicion of everyone you come across. I hate to be negative, but that's my experience. I don't gamble in Las Vegas, as the probability of loss is 51% or greater. Equally in BA, more than 51% of the "professionals" you encounter will not have your best intentions in mind.

We the expats get stripped naked in Argentina.
We the expats are suspicious of more than 51% of Argentines not having our best intentions in mind.
We the expats are navigating Argentina as a den of thieves.
But, We the expats are not leaving come hell or high water.

I looked up to your objective economist claim, but none of my questions were addressed. what a letdown.
Fitting a square in a circle is as flawed as a "capitalist wannabe" in Argentina.

Last edited:
For those who may not have read through the entire thread...

Beginning on Sept 11...

I'm moving to Buenos Aires from the United States at the end of the month. I need to find someone who speaks Spanish to guide me through the process.

My daughter is checking with her new husband to see how he really feels about my moving to BA.

I need to hire someone who speaks Spanish to help me talk with people in a lot of different situations (e.g., renting a place to live, getting health insurance, setting up utilities, etc.)

I know there will be many times that I need help from that person--not just in the beginning, but later on, as well. I don't want to ask Luis and Claire many questions. He is working full-time and going to school at night. She is free lancing in sales and is on her computer or phone most of the day.

Why are you coming here, I wonder

My daughter married an Argentine and I want to live near them.

And today this...

It is clear from your posts that you are entirely unprepared for what awaits you in Buenos Aires. This city, especially in relation to foreigners, is an example of buyer beware in the extreme. If you come down here with your current trusting and open perspective, you will be stripped of much time, energy and money.

My strong suggestion is you do lots of research on your own, from the internet in general and using the search function on this forum. Strike up an online friendship with a few members of this forum that have been here for many years and have posted productively and coherently dozens of times. Ask them your specific questions - not general questions, like "how do I take a taxi from the airport." Specific questions that you can't find the answers to online.

I also suggest that you rent an Airbnb for your first month or two here. Airbnb is mostly risk-free, although sometimes the pictures of the apartments are "optimistic." Apartment rental in BA is like navigating a den of thieves and you will encounter great difficulty if you rent an apto on your own at your nascent stage of BA development. If you choose to rent an Airbnb, do not, I repeat do not, accept your host's invitation to change your dollars for pesos. They rip you off every time. Consult someone on this forum where to change money. Be suspicious of your host regarding just about everything they offer, except extra soap.

You do not necessarily need a spanish speaker to navigate BA, although it would be helpful. More useful would be assertiveness, diligence and a healthy suspicion of everyone you come across. I hate to be negative, but that's my experience. I don't gamble in Las Vegas, as the probability of loss is 51% or greater. Equally in BA, more than 51% of the "professionals" you encounter will not have your best intentions in mind.

It is abundantly clear from seloque´s posts that she, and yes, I assume she is female, is moving to be near her daughter and does not want to burden her daughter or her daughter´s new husband with the drudgery of finding a place to rent with two dogs, getting health insurance, etc.

All she´s looking for here is a bilingual person to help with those tasks.

As her daughter is married to an Argentinian, I imagine she already has some knowledge about getting residency and though she didn´t mention it, I imagine she will also want someone to help her with applying for temporary residency using the migraciones website..

I cannot say with absolute certainty, but I imagine she will be met at the airport by her daughter and son in law and will already have a temporary place to stay with her two dogs, and that she already knows about the requirements to bring her dogs into Argentina.

As she previously posted that she was waiting for her son in law to let her know how he feels about her moving to BA, at this point she probably doesn´t need any unsolicited advice from others, including me.

Nonetheless, I do wonder if the airline will require that she have either a return or onward ticket before allowing her to board.

For those who may not have read through the entire thread...

Beginning on Sept 11...

And today this...

It is abundantly clear from seloque´s posts that she, and yes, I assume she is female, is moving to be near her daughter and does not want to burden her daughter or her daughter´s new husband with the drudgery of finding a place to rent with two dogs, getting health insurance, etc.

All she´s looking for here is a bilingual person to help with those tasks.

As her daughter is married to an Argentinian, I imagine she already has some knowledge about getting residency and though she didn´t mention it, I imagine she will also want someone to help her with applying for temporary residency using the migraciones website..

I cannot say with absolute certainty, but I imagine she will be met at the airport by her daughter and son in law and will already have a temporary place to stay with her two dogs, and that she already knows about the requirements to bring her dogs into Argentina.

As she previously posted that she was waiting for her son in law to let her know how he feels about her moving to BA, at this point she probably doesn´t need any unsolicited advice from others, including me.

Nonetheless, I do wonder if the airline will require that she have either a return or onward ticket before allowing her to board.

Excellent Steve, as I recall, long time ago you recommended a "person" that could assist people with all their local paperwork needs, call it visa, rental, etc.
The rate was in US dollars and was reasonable for a one time visit to Migraciones...!
Thanks

Steve, can you please this lady ? I know you are financially secure. But if you have time, it would be great.

Back