Non Spanish speakers.....

Caribbean Cool

Registered
Since I want to know the realities of BA life I am asking this question...Can a non spanish speaker have a life in Buenos Aires? This is not necessarily me....but I have heard that Argentinian Spanish can be ornery. Are other English speakers a rare breed in daily life? Is the non Spanish speaker doomed to a life of solitary confinement? Make a comment, sure. Please don't get dictatorial.

I have lived for about 10 yr in bA. about 6 yrs was with zero or basic Spanish and last 4 years had been advanced level Spanish.I can say, I always loved living here but the day my Spanish became advanced level, my life here changed drastically to better ( it was already rocking...so you can imagine!!??)

I have lived for about 10 yr in bA. about 6 yrs was with zero or basic Spanish and last 4 years had been advanced level Spanish.I can say, I always loved living here but the day my Spanish became advanced level, my life here changed drastically to better ( it was already rocking...so you can imagine!!??)
Right on !!! was the first word you learned in spanish penicilina?lol just kidding rock on

Surprise? I believed you were a Spanish Speaker...!

Many people will want to practice their English with you. You'll discover that the city is truly bi-lingual

After traveling in almost every major city of Central and South America, I can safely say, Buenos Aires is most Bilingual of all.

I spoke no Spanish for the first two years I was here. Now I am by no means fluent but conversational and it certainly helps to broaden the experience of living here.

It seems to me many on the forum are used to living and spending time in five central neighborhoods. I live in Versalles and spend most of my time in Versalles, Villa Real, Devoto, Villa del Parque, Liniers, Moreno, and Caseros. I can assure you, people in Liniers and Moreno have zero interest in practicing their English with you. If you don't speak Spanish, at best you'd be a curiosity and at worst you could be putting yourself in danger in those barrios by walking around talking in English.

Even in Devoto not getting a curious glance when I talk English is rare. The first two years I lived in Villa Raffo I was basically on my own. CABA has over 3 million people and the greater city around 13 million, head outside those central barrios and you'll actually find the city is not truly bi-lingual. Or perhaps more accurately, if it is the people don't want to talk to you in English (why would they, by the way).

That's not to disagree with Ceviche saying Buenos Aires is the most bilingual city in South America. Just think about it though, that "fact" is meaningless without any data. I am by far the best French speaker in my house, I know 10 words.

I spoke no Spanish for the first two years I was here. Now I am by no means fluent but conversational and it certainly helps to broaden the experience of living here.

It seems to me many on the forum are used to living and spending time in five central neighborhoods. I live in Versalles and spend most of my time in Versalles, Villa Real, Devoto, Villa del Parque, Liniers, Moreno, and Caseros. I can assure you, people in Liniers and Moreno have zero interest in practicing their English with you. If you don't speak Spanish, at best you'd be a curiosity and at worst you could be putting yourself in danger in those barrios by walking around talking in English.

Even in Devoto not getting a curious glance when I talk English is rare. The first two years I lived in Villa Raffo I was basically on my own. CABA has over 3 million people and the greater city around 13 million, head outside those central barrios and you'll actually find the city is not truly bi-lingual. Or perhaps more accurately, if it is the people don't want to talk to you in English (why would they, by the way).

That's not to disagree with Ceviche saying Buenos Aires is the most bilingual city in South America. Just think about it though, that "fact" is meaningless without any data. I am by far the best French speaker in my house, I know 10 words.

Excellent comments .. I would add my 10 years Experience in the Area, 130 kmts. from Capital, in the Provincia de Buenos Aires . The only English speakers are a few Irish Community descendants on Saint Patrick's day..

Back