Need to Buy a Car

d0case

Registered
Hello!

We have 4 kids and are trying to figure out how to purchase a car.
We need to find one that seats 6-7.

What is the process of buying a car without a DNI or as a tourist?
Can it be done?

I guess you are planning to be a semi permanent tourist?

I guess you are planning to be a semi permanent tourist?
We have a student visa through our daughter - we could get residency, but it would take a while.
Planning on staying 13 months.

I'd love to figure out how to get a car even before getting all the residency stuff figured out.

Yes you can buy a car without legal residency in Argentina. Purchases of cars over a certain price level will requiere filling out a form justifying the origin of the funds. I recommend using Abasto Motors in Puerto Madero as you can pay for the vehicle in USA by a simple wire transfer to their Bank of America account. I purchased a 0km from them using this method.

Yes you can buy a car without legal residency in Argentina. Purchases of cars over a certain price level will requiere filling out a form justifying the origin of the funds. I recommend using Abasto Motors in Puerto Madero as you can pay for the vehicle in USA by a simple wire transfer to their Bank of America account. I purchased a 0km from them using this method.
@ArgentinaVet Ok, thanks for the info! Would the process be easier if I paid cash in USD? Are there any used car places you'd recommend locally?

@ArgentinaVet Ok, thanks for the info! Would the process be easier if I paid cash in USD? Are there any used car places you'd recommend locally?
Vehicle insurance might be a problem, I don't think you can get it without a DNI...La Caja is a big insurer here,contact them online and ask ..

Abasto Motors doesn’t care if you pay in USD cash, pesos or USD transfer to their USA bank account. They sell both used and 0km vehicles.

You might try talking to Dietrich. They are a big VW dealer, but sell a lot of used cars. I know a bunch of people (argentines) who have bought cars from them, they are big enough to know how all the rules work, and have a decent inventory of different makes an models, usually.

Vehicle insurance might be a problem, I don't think you can get it without a DNI...La Caja is a big insurer here,contact them online and ask ..
La Caja refused insurance without DNI . Their system entry couldn't handle a passport number. Zurich did at some point.

You might try talking to Dietrich. They are a big VW dealer, but sell a lot of used cars. I know a bunch of people (argentines) who have bought cars from them, they are big enough to know how all the rules work, and have a decent inventory of different makes an models, usually.
I purchased a slightly used VW Gol form Dietrich in Honduras St, Palermo, they handled all the details. This dealership handles sales and service of used and new vehicles .

Last edited:
Back