need to get fitted for tux in bariloche...what kind of places do this?

ckjb

Registered
know of any places in bariloche that measure people for tuxedos? is there a specific type of store? i can't seem to find a bridal store. any experience getting fitted for a tux in ba or bariloche would be appreciated. oh, i keep typing tuxedo into babelfish "english to spanish" and it keeps coming back as "smoking".

Try looking for "traje de etiqueta" or "ropa de etiqueta." Some "sastres" (tailors) also offer the service.

I just checked a couple of the commercial directories for Bariloche without getting a hit. There are many here in capital - 2 that come to mind are a store on Callao, between (roughly) Santa Fe and Paraguay). I've also seen a place on Las Heras near the park (I think on the Palermo side of the park, but I'm not sure about this).

If you need to deal with this in Bariloche, I would contact the concierge at one of the better hotels (Llau Llau?) and ask for advice. It's conceivable that you can't do this in a small city like Bariloche.

I think that traje de etiqueta is "white-tie" (i.e., full evening dress) and that smoking is indeed "black-tie" (dinner jacket, or "tuxedo").

If you've at least a few days in Bs.As., "ckjb", consider having a tailor make the dinner jacket and trousers for you. It's not terribly expensive and will save you considerable rental fees; plus, wearing one's own clothing feels nicer and looks better.

ckjb said:
oh, i keep typing tuxedo into babelfish "english to spanish" and it keeps coming back as "smoking".
That is because a tuxedo (GB 'Dinner jacket') is called "un esmoquin".

You are looking for a (GB) "White tie" which is called "un frac" or "un chaqué negro".

'Not certain, but . . . I think that a frac is "morning dress" ("swallowtail", "cut-away" coat).

I'll try to check that out the next time I speak with a tailor in Bs.As.

Yes, a dinner jacket is either esmoquin or smoking.

RWS said:
'Not certain, but . . . I think that a frac is "morning dress" ("swallowtail", "cut-away" coat).

Took the lift down to the store on first floor, where they sell such and asked the owner: "un frac" or "un chaqué negro", igual.

Interesting. Perhaps it's comparable to sale of massmade clothing in the States, where sometimes evening dress, morning dress, and dinner jackets are all aggregated as "tuxes" (though, in English, a "tuxedo" is actually just a type -- double-breasted, peak-lapelled -- of dinner jacket). Or perhaps my memory has failed me (it wouldn't, I fear, be the first time). I'll ask at Carbone or Cheverny.

RWS said:

But-but a "White tie" is a cutaway - me in mine, doing the honours. Sorry about the RH shirt sleeve not up (down) to standard :eek:

¡Ja! Yes, of course any modern tailcoat is "cut away". 'Probably one reason why the word "cut-away" seldom is used nowadays, as by rational linguistic analysis alone it'd be as applicable to evening dress as to morning dress.

By the way, though the photo's too blurry to be certain, the lapel buttonhole looks . . . recognizable. Congratulations -- doubtless, many years after the fact.

A "tuxedo" in GB is a "black tie" or "dinner jacket".

In the US anything not made of denim :D:D:D:D

Back