Netflix - No More Proxy

camberiu

Registered
Party is over folks.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/netflix-says-party-over-plans-start-cracking-down-000019572.html

I don't know if it's legally and morally comparable, or even the same as using proxies, but with current speeds downloading a show via torrnt, watching it, and then erasing it (to free space) works pretty much in the same way as streaming and perhaps even offers more variety (I just binge-watched Okkupert with English subtitles, which I believe is not yet available in the market).
If you feel either guilty or satisfied by the show you can always send a gift to the writers, or even send a perhaps tax-deductible donation to the European Commission for Culture and Education.

I don't know if it's legally and morally comparable, or even the same as using proxies, but with current speeds downloading a show via torrnt, watching it, and then erasing it (to free space) works pretty much in the same way as streaming and perhaps even offers more variety (I just binge-watched Okkupert with English subtitles, which I believe is not yet available in the market).
If you feel either guilty or satisfied by the show you can always send a gift to the writers, or even send a perhaps tax-deductible donation to the European Commission for Culture and Education.

The most succinct commentary ever on the situation: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones
Some more subtle analysis here.

Netflix Argentina's content is horrible. I don't know why these moronic companies can't come up with a model that works for everyone. People in Argentina aren't going to wait around for content.

Netflix Argentina's content is horrible. I don't know why these moronic companies can't come up with a model that works for everyone. People in Argentina aren't going to wait around for content.

The problem here is the content owners/copyright holders, not Netflix. Blame it on them and their stupid licensing models. Netflix owned shows, like House of Cards or Daredevil, are available globally, from day one, without any constrains.

That is why Netflix went into the TV/Movie production business: To try to free itself from Hollywood and their stupid licensing schemes.

I was looking at a series called Hoarders until Wednesday, then yesterday Netflix said it was available in DVD only. I contacted Netflix customer service and they asked me where I was located. I told them the US since I am using Hola! to mask my IP. But then I went to check my IP and the masking didn't work. I thought it was a issue from Hola!

I contacted again the customer service, this time they didn't ask for my location and just told me the license rights for Hoarders had expired but they would likely be renewed.
Is Hulu experiencing the same issue?

I'm curious to know how they know we're using a VPN and exactly how they block them.

Back