New And Looking For Work

SteMcA

Registered
Hi All,

I recently arrived in Buenos Aires, from Ireland, and I have a six month working holiday Visa that can be extended to 9 months. I have a degree in commerce and a 20 hour in classroom TEFL qualification. I have experience working as an accountant (2 years) and was also a swimming teacher for several years.

I am looking for work in Buenos Aires. I would like to do English teaching but am open to any employment. My Spanish is non-existent at present but I am learning.

What is the best way to go about finding work? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen

I always recommend craigslist/BA.
Somebody is always looking for "native speakers"
Good luck.

http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/

Work on your Spanish until March when things get moving again around here. It's not difficult to get some English classes.

My wife teaches swimming too and there is some work in colonias (summer camps) during summer, but not without some language skills.

Professional work will be hard to get without Spanish, that's the reality. You can teach, look around for other English language jobs advertised online too.

Might be worth checking in with the embassy. There is a small GAA scene (very small!), I never paid that sort of thing any attention when I was at home but you might find it useful in terms of developing some contacts. I go out ever now and again to clear out the lungs and keep in touch with the Irish guys and meet the Argentine-irish.

If you have any interest there is a group of Irish & Argentine lads (and girls) training out in Hurlingham on Tuesday nights & Sat mornings. It's a way to get in touch with the Irish out here, and in a social setting it might help with your spanish.

Send me a PM here if you're interested. Haven't been out myself for a few weeks. too hot and I've been busy but I'd be glad to let you know what's going on.

There's a new ambassador at the embassy, if you haven't checked in with them it's worth doing so. Send them an email, introduce yourself and let them know you're in the country.

ps...Invest as much time as you can in learning Spanish.

Good luck.

What, working holiday visa? What is this madness?

This isn't Australia you know.

maybe look for Irish companies working in Argentina?

maybe look for Irish companies working in Argentina?

As far as I know the main one would be Kerry group, but they would expect Spanish if applying from here. They tend to recruit graduates in Ireland, "groom" them and send them over here & to Brazil (more & more Brazil) where they have sizeable operations.

As far as I know the main one would be Kerry group, but they would expect Spanish if applying from here. They tend to recruit graduates in Ireland, "groom" them and send them over here & to Brazil (more & more Brazil) where they have sizeable operations.
Maybe,I have no idea,but it´s worth cheking.
maybe the embassy knows about works?or some european agency here?

Back