New At Rio Soup Kitchen: Argentines

The same could be said about lower middle class immigrants from first world countries that come to Latin America to take advantage of the cheaper prices and overall cost of living.

Arguments can be made on all sides. The truest and wisest statement ive heard regarding this was the woman quoted in the piece " let them come, everyone has a right to eat". Its funny the euros and the north americans living cheaply in argentina taking advantage of government subsidies not meant for them, per say, ard the ones complaining while many Brazilians themselves dont even seem to care. In fact, many take the high road.

I guess civilization isnt just software and cheap consumer electronics from Asia.

How is taking advantage of a lower cost of living in any way related to stealing from a soup kitchen, which is destined to help people who don't have money to pay for food? What are you talking about???? Since when do expats not pay taxes??? Expats aren't stealing anything and they all pay taxes in one form or another. You do know subsidies come from taxes, right? I thought your comment was really disrespectful to people that have to go to soup kitchens to get something to eat. Soup kitchens usually have a small budget to work with and that budget should go to people who need it, not someone who is a cheapskate who wants to save some pesos. What you are saying is absurd. It's like saying shame on you for going to live in Sweden because they have a free education and good health care. That's how the country is set up. I can't believe you would compare people that cannot afford food with a government subsidy.

Sorry. Is this supposed to be serious? Ill take it as satire and leave it at that.

How is taking advantage of a lower cost of living in any way related to stealing from a soup kitchen, which is destined to help people who don't have money to pay for food? What are you talking about???? Since when do expats not pay taxes??? Expats aren't stealing anything and they all pay taxes in one form or another. You do know subsidies come from taxes, right? I thought your comment was really disrespectful to people that have to go to soup kitchens to get something to eat. Soup kitchens usually have a small budget to work with and that budget should go to people who need it, not someone who is a cheapskate who wants to save some pesos. What you are saying is absurd. It's like saying shame on you for going to live in Sweden because they have a free education and good health care. That's how the country is set up. I can't believe you would compare people that cannot afford food with a government subsidy.

Here's a much more objective article about the situation that isn't specifically designed to make Argentines look bad:

http://esportes.estadao.com.br/noticias/futebol,copa-do-mundo,copa-quase-de-graca-para-estrangeiros-no-rio-de-janeiro,1525192

I read the article, it is not a soup kitchen, but a subsidized restaurant, there were also European tourists (backpackers) eating there. They don´t ask you to be poor to eat there, it is open to anyone who can pay the one real.

Who cares about the semantics? "Soup kitchen" vs. subsidized restaurant, everyone read the article and knows what the deal is. I was just as grossed out by the Europeans eating there as I was by the Argentines eating there. Clearly there are no rules barring certain people from dining in such an establishment, but I find it morally reprehensible that a tourist there for the World Cup would do so.

Ah! The Argentine's "viveza criolla" at full bloom ! Might say that the Argies are very street smart and they make it happen anywhere.
From Chile's supermarket offering to pay for those grocery carts using their Argie CC and in return asking to be paid back in Chilean pesos! So going to feed in the Soup kitchen is nothing to them..Also even the poormans dish the Brazilian feijoada,
is one damn good tasting food I ever savoured!

https://www.google.com/search?q=brazilian+feijoada&sa=X&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=W8e-U4yILsb5oATyqIDYBg&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1146&bih=608

I find it morally reprehensible that a tourist there for the World Cup would do so.

Like others said, if you've got thousands to spend on soccer tickets for your vacation
but you're going to use the resources meant for the poor you're part of the problem.

The article also mentions how Argies are trying to stiff cabbies and shop owners to
round down.

Yet there's this:

Asked about the southern invasion at the restaurant, the Brazilian regulars showed no resentment. "Let them join us," said Vera Teixeira, a retiree who sat near an Argentine group, "It's everyone's right to eat."

I will never understand why Brazilians are so nice to Argentines after everything Argentina and Argentines do to them...

Who thinks food in Chile is better than in Argentina needs to go out more ...

Like others said, if you've got thousands to spend on soccer tickets for your vacation
but you're going to use the resources meant for the poor you're part of the problem.

The article also mentions how Argies are trying to stiff cabbies and shop owners to
round down.

Yet there's this:

Asked about the southern invasion at the restaurant, the Brazilian regulars showed no resentment. "Let them join us," said Vera Teixeira, a retiree who sat near an Argentine group, "It's everyone's right to eat."

I will never understand why Brazilians are so nice to Argentines after everything Argentina and Argentines do to them...

In general, all Brasileiros are all optimistic bunch and they welcome all foreigners, even the Chinos !

Who thinks food in Chile is better than in Argentina needs to go out more ...

pastries and beef are better in Argentina but as for the rest i'd say Chile wins. I'm talking about Chile vs Buenos Aires because all the good stuff around the country doesn't tend to make it to BA mostly because portenos in general love bland food.

It is a cultural trait. We always try to bring others into the fold, even opponents. Argentinas refer to us as "Brazucas" in a derogatory way. This is how we refer to them:

Hermanos na final! Argentina bate a Holanda e tentará o tri no Maracanã contra a Alemanha

[background=rgb(243, 243, 243)]Os Hermanos estarão no Maracanã no próximo domingo[/background]

“Los Hermanos” fazem a final da Copa contra a Alemanha no Maracanã

Back