New Daily Peso Limit?

lucha54 said:
I need to add to this question... Since moving here in August I have only been able to take out 1000 pesos at a time. NOT a daily limit, but a transaction limit, and Bank of America charges me a $5USD fee for each withdrawal, plus the bank charges me a bit more than $2USD. Is there any way to get more money in one withdrawal? I think this rule is in place for safety reasons (ie. robbers could be watching and follow you to hold you up) but I am trying to avoid all these fees with every transaction. Wiring the money to Banco Piano comes with a $45USD fee, not including the fees on the Argy side of the transaction, and that also has a max. limit that makes the fees equivalent to using the ATM. Can anyone offer advice on a workaround? THANKS!

Schwab.com

Their are some answers if you have high balances in your bank accounts. B of A waives all those fees for wealth management clients. Pool money with trusted friends and family.

anyone still have faith in the caves? Will Uruguay continue to play the roll of providing dollars in AR?

lucha54 said:
I need to add to this question... Since moving here in August I have only been able to take out 1000 pesos at a time. NOT a daily limit, but a transaction limit, and Bank of America charges me a $5USD fee for each withdrawal, plus the bank charges me a bit more than $2USD. Is there any way to get more money in one withdrawal? I think this rule is in place for safety reasons (ie. robbers could be watching and follow you to hold you up) but I am trying to avoid all these fees with every transaction. Wiring the money to Banco Piano comes with a $45USD fee, not including the fees on the Argy side of the transaction, and that also has a max. limit that makes the fees equivalent to using the ATM. Can anyone offer advice on a workaround? THANKS!

Go to Citibank and use the NON Bancelo ATM (ie - use the Citi ATM). You *should* be able to take out whatever your daily limit is in the US. IE - If your limit is 1000 USD, you should be able to take out $4200 in one transaction. Please note the *should* - there is no guarantee.

The ATM charge on the Argentina side - the only work around for that is the Schwab account as was previously mentioned. They will refund those fees.

YanquiGallego said:
Moreover, the limit on foreign cards is usually not machine-imposed rather card issuer imposed. If your card has X for the limit you can just keep sticking it in until you hit that limit.

This is not true, at least for my NZ ATM card, as i have asked my bank and they told me there was no limit on my card, as long as i had funds to cover the transaction, and that it depended on the limit set by the ATM owner.

In belgium i can get 600 euros per transaction, eucador US$600, aus not sure what the limit is, but i have taken out AU$2000 in one go.. argentina - when i first arrived i could only take out 300 pesos (the week before i had taken out US$800 in st maartin) and the last time i withdrew money here it was AR$1000.

However I have been told by friends that depending on what bank they went to they could take out AR$2000 in one go - from memory it was Citi or HSBC and they had their cards..

I bring travellers cheques and cash to Arg, as everytime i withdraw from ATMS i get charged NZ$5 for the transaction, around US$2 for the VISA network fee and around AR$20 for some arg fee, and then there is usually a couple of % exchange rate commision.. Its a rip off... every other country i have only been to only charged the NZ$5 fee, except ecuador which had a US$ 0.50 local bank fee.

My card has a 2.500 USD daily limit (debit card/bank in Belize) and the Citibank ATM (no logo) allows me to withdraw up to 4.000 pesos in one operation (didn't try to do two withdrawals in a row though).

I think my card (bank of america visa debit card) has $700 USD limit but I can call them to have it changed for a day... still, I'll go to Citibank tomorrow, there's one by my house in Las Cañitas. I'll try to withdraw 3000 pesos at once and will let you guys know... this could save me a lot in the long run. Thanks everyone for your help!!! ~Lucha

What happened to all the talk about security? The info on this thread makes for some good targets. Citi non Bancelo ATM for large withdrawals and even location and day given?????:eek: And plastered on the WWW???
Come on folks....smarten up!!!! Please for your own safety and those of others.

i usually could take out as much as i wanted (e.g. 2x1000pesos at the same atm was no problem)...BUT something changed. since yesterday i`m only allowed to withdraw 700pesos per day. i tried other atm`s but with the same result. however, in general i`m not a big "withdrawer" of money - i only take out what i need - so I can`t imagine that my home bank has some problems with that all of a sudden.
i heared that this is some government policy, but i`m not sure. my guess is that the governement can`t keep up with printing new 100pesos bills (inflation!? - what inflation???), so they are restricting the atm`s and start by busting the foreigners balls first...does it make sense, no...but as the Argies say: "es Argentina"!
just a guess.

Back