New Electric Bill Arrived: And The Total Is....

my bill is going up in increments on 100-150 pesos every month
Mine went up in an increment of 2400 pesos in one month. And I dont have my account number written down where I am, so I cant check my edenor account online for a few days, to see if its just the stopping of subsidies, or something else. Nobody is in my apartment right now, so the actual usage is basically zero. But I think they calculate it by square footage, not metered usage.

Mine went up in an increment of 2400 pesos in one month. And I dont have my account number written down where I am, so I cant check my edenor account online for a few days, to see if its just the stopping of subsidies, or something else. Nobody is in my apartment right now, so the actual usage is basically zero. But I think they calculate it by square footage, not metered usage.

Electricity usage is not calculated by square footage. My Edesur bill has been increasing systematically by $50 pesos per month yet my usage remains the same for the past 6 months. Perhaps your meter is faulty or someone in your building is tapping into your electrical line while your unit is empty.

Edenor most certainly charges by metered use. I'd check you bill to make nobody is stealing your electricity.

Every apartment building basement has a designated area for electricity and gas meters that are labeled by apartment number with easy access by the company's meter readers. Water usage isn't metered yet, but AySA already has that in the plans soon.

There is an easy way to guarantee your usage stays at zero when you're gone for an extended stay. Flip the main electrical switch in your apartment. Locate the power box inside the wall and move the main switch to the opposite position. That way no power is used in your absence.

Every apartment building basement has a designated area for electricity and gas meters that are labeled by apartment number with easy access by the company's meter readers. Water usage isn't metered yet, but AySA already has that in the plans soon.

There is an easy way to guarantee your usage stays at zero when you're gone for an extended stay. Flip the main electrical switch in your apartment. Locate the power box inside the wall and move the main switch to the opposite position. That way no power is used in your absence.

I think jantango's recommendation is excellent. That's what I do each time I vacate. I would love to do the same in the USA, but these water sprinklers and freezers don't allow me too. Thus, my bill is huge even when I am not here.

I just got my new electric bill, and I picked it up off the floor with some trepidation.

According to the calculator in La Nación, for 600kWh from Edesur, my new bill should be $477 (compared to about $75 before the increase).

I tore open the top of the envelope, slowly withdrew the bill, looked down, and the amount (for 601kWh) was...

$140. My eyes are very bad. I put down the bill and rubbed them a bit. I looked again.

$140.

Not a 600% increase. Not a 500% increase.

About a 90% increase.

Just another day in the Dictatorship of Happiness. I'll never understand how they do things in this country.

Some interesting details from the bill:
  • The new rates were only incorporated for 17 days of the bill -- out of 69 -- but this would not have had a serious impact on the cost of electricity. The fixed charge would have been higher -- $68 instead of $30 -- but the cost per kWh actually went down, meaning that the variable cost would have been $18 less, for a net difference of +$20 if the new rates had been applied for the entire bill.
  • I received a subsidy of $144 (compared to a subsidy of $164 on the previous bill). Perhaps that will disappear when I get the next bill, with a full two months of the new rate scheme.
  • However, even if the subsidy had been completely eliminated and I paid the new rates for the entire bill, the amount would have been $304 -- about a 300% increase -- well below the estimates published in the newspapers, and well below the amount I should have paid according to La Nación's calculator. And that, of course, is if they eliminate the subsidy, a subject which has not been addressed by the media at all -- at least not in the dozens of articles I've read on the subject.
Anybody else received their new bill? Any other unexpected surprises?
these prices are pesos?

these prices are pesos?

Yes, prices are quoted in pesos.
FYI......AmigoArtistico's post was dated 25 Feb 2016. Electrical rates for basic service + wattage usage have changed drastically since that post.

Back