New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

malbec said:
According to this it will effective from January 1st 2010. But who knows...it has been postponed so many times. Hopefully the govt. can get this organised until 2011, the new President will (and here I hope NK loses) forget the whole thing.

so when is it effective

Ryoga said:
TIA

so not 20 of Dic and maybe on 1 of Ere

maybe, maybe not.

We won't know if or when until they do.

It's a bit like asking, "Are we almost there, yet?"

If there is any method to their madness (thely also do the same for only the capital international airport in Chile), perhaps it is too make things difficult for family visiting diplomatic families, which is maybe why they planned it just beofre Christmas (even though now apparently further delayed at least until January 1).

But who knows????

One thing is for sure, if they had their sh!t together you know they would have implemented the fee on Dec 20 because they are money hungry!

There are countless thousands of Americans (not to mention visitors and part-time residents from other countries) who live in or spend a lot of time in Argentina. Many – if not most – are a constant source of income for Argentine restaurants and other businesses. Giving these people another reason to leave Argentina (and not return) seems unwise.

Meanwhile, if the comments received here (and via email) are any indication, many visitors will not come to Argentina in the first place because of the new entrance fee. How many? It’s impossible to say.

Setting aside the concept of reciprocity and the fee’s fairness motive, it seems imprudent from a purely economic perspective to add another disincentive to visiting the country. As we saw in a previous post, the number of people visiting Argentina is declining and could continue to do so.

Moreover, with an unprecedented global recession heading our way, cash-strapped travelers need more reason – not less – to travel. I’ll post an update as soon as I have more information.

UPDATE: I’m told by customs officials that the visa fee will not be charged until March.

http://www.argentinepost.com/2008/12/mixed-messages-on-argentinas-new-entrance-fee.html

iStar said:
There are countless thousands of Americans (not to mention visitors and part-time residents from other countries) who live in or spend a lot of time in Argentina. Many – if not most – are a constant source of income for Argentine restaurants and other businesses. Giving these people another reason to leave Argentina (and not return) seems unwise.

Meanwhile, if the comments received here (and via email) are any indication, many visitors will not come to Argentina in the first place because of the new entrance fee. How many? It’s impossible to say.

Setting aside the concept of reciprocity and the fee’s fairness motive, it seems imprudent from a purely economic perspective to add another disincentive to visiting the country. As we saw in a previous post, the number of people visiting Argentina is declining and could continue to do so.

Moreover, with an unprecedented global recession heading our way, cash-strapped travelers need more reason – not less – to travel. I’ll post an update as soon as I have more information.

UPDATE: I’m told by customs officials that the visa fee will not be charged until March.

http://www.argentinepost.com/2008/12/mixed-messages-on-argentinas-new-entrance-fee.html

The article referred to in the link indicates that the fee would be charged every 90 days.

I never heard that before.

Until shit happens it's only potential shit.

Besides, it's totally out of our (expat) control.

So why worry or bitch?

steveinbsas said:
The article referred to in the link indicates that the fee would be charged every 90 days.

I never heard that before.

Until shit happens it's only potential shit.

Besides, it's totally out of our (expat) control.

So why worry or bitch?

Not worried or bitching. I have a EU passport = NO FEE :)

I thought the info might be of benefit to others.

They can decide for themselves if they want to worry or bitch ;)

Back