New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

fifilafiloche said:
We agree that we can t agree on anything, just for the sake of it, Istar ;)

Here is some more of the 80s british classics subliminal marketing. That s where i learnt by horrible english.

Right or wrong

fifilafiloche it's ok, my moto is you can't blame someone for not knowing.

peace :)

mendozanow said:
That may be true for Brazil (have you actually tried to enter Brazil with just your DNI?), but a DNI for a foreigner avoids the need to pay the recprocity fee at the Santiago airport in Chile, I have firsthand experience with that.

Hi,

Yes, it is not possible to enter Brazil just with your DNI, unless you are a citizen of a Mercosur country. I've been going to Brazil at least once a year since 2007. I have a DNI, and as a US citizen, you need your Passport and a pricey Visa to get in. They offer no entry waiver of any kind for "extranjero" DNI holders. Not for the costly visa, not even for discounts to Brazilian national parks (like Iguazu), something Mercosur citizens usually get. But I should note that there are some border tour agencies that claim to cross you over without the need for a Visa. Only problem is that is illegal, and if you get caught you will face a big fine and possible jail time.

Good for Chile on the DNI waiver. Argentine-DNI holders will also avoid this new reciprocity fee here upon entry. But in both cases, as a US citizen with an Argentine "extranjero" DNI, you still need your US passport to enter either country, or any Mercosur country for that matter. (at least through the main border crossings)

Cheers :)

arty said:
You think the USA is difficult for Canadians to enter? I've been hassled every time when I go to Canada by their people. Like I would really want to move from Los Angeles to Toronto. The Canadian customs people act like I'm coming there to steal their toques and Molson XXX.

i had the same problem in Van. "why are you here?"

2GuysInPM said:
It looks like it is now official: :eek:

(main page: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/)

USA: USD $131
Canadian: USD $70 (*single entry)
Australian: USD $100

I have two questions:

1) i have a 90 day visa that runs out on Jan 14. if i fly to brazil on Dec 28 and return on Jan 2, will i have to pay the fee?

2) I'm going rafting on Jan 15 in Chile, but my visa runs out on Jan 14. If I am one day over, will they make a big deal of it and will they provide me with a new 90 day visa upon reentry 5 days later?

Ryoga said:
I have two questions:

1) i have a 90 day visa that runs out on Jan 14. if i fly to brazil on Dec 28 and return on Jan 2, will i have to pay the fee?

2) I'm going rafting on Jan 15 in Chile, but my visa runs out on Jan 14. If I am one day over, will they make a big deal of it and will they provide me with a new 90 day visa upon reentry 5 days later?

Question 1:

If your return flight is on January 2 to EZE (Ezeiza) and you're a U.S., Canadian, or Australian citizen, yes, you will have to pay the tax. If you fly into AEP, you won't have to pay the tax.

Question 2:

Many people have overstayed their visas and were subsequently allowed to re-enter. You'll be fine..and be fined, as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the fine is $300 ARG if you overstay.

Another thing, I think it would just be brilliant if they just started tacking on the fee to all airline tickets (to EZE) purchased by U.S., Canadian, and Australian citizens. That would sure make things a lot easier...

How long did it take for the Kings of Inefficiency in Argentina to figure out that the asinine departure tax should just be paid at the time the ticket is purchased?

We can't forget the pasatiempo argentino.... pasar tiempo.

bradlyhale said:
How long did it take for the Kings of Inefficiency in Argentina to figure out that the asinine departure tax should just be paid at the time the ticket is purchased?

Maybe they don't trust the airlines to fork over the taxes? Not a whole lot of trust here in Argentina. Gol is nice enough to just add the departure tax to the price of their tickets but you still have to show the sticker on your ticket to the tax guy to verify that you've paid it.

And, yeah, how stupid is a departure tax? My buddy and I once had to lend a couple of Brazilian women money at Ezeiza so they could pay the departure tax and fly back home. They didn't know about it ahead of time and were stuck in the damn airport. I believe Gol was nice enough to hold up the plane for them (this was over a year ago, before Gol collected the taxes as they do now) and they paid us back when we met up with them in Brazil, so it all worked out, but why create a situation where people can get stuck in an airport even though they've already checked their bags onto a flight? So stupid. But, hey, TIA.

ssr said:
Maybe they don't trust the airlines to fork over the taxes? Not a whole lot of trust here in Argentina. Gol is nice enough to just add the departure tax to the price of their tickets but you still have to show the sticker on your ticket to the tax guy to verify that you've paid it.

And, yeah, how stupid is a departure tax? My buddy and I once had to lend a couple of Brazilian women money at Ezeiza so they could pay the departure tax and fly back home. They didn't know about it ahead of time and were stuck in the damn airport. I believe Gol was nice enough to hold up the plane for them (this was over a year ago, before Gol collected the taxes as they do now) and they paid us back when we met up with them in Brazil, so it all worked out, but why create a situation where people can get stuck in an airport even though they've already checked their bags onto a flight? So stupid. But, hey, TIA.

I believe the departure tax is now being included for most (if not all) flights. From my own experiences, TAM and United now have the departure tax included in the ticket. Now you're saying GOL does as well.

This to me just seems obvious. I'm glad I'm not flying back for several months. I feel sorry for the folks arriving on December 20. It's going to be so unbelievably disorganized. I just wish I could be a fly on the wall...

According to this it will effective from January 1st 2010. But who knows...it has been postponed so many times. Hopefully the govt. can get this organised until 2011, the new President will (and here I hope NK loses) forget the whole thing.

bradlyhale said:
I believe the departure tax is now being included for most (if not all) flights. From my own experiences, TAM and United now have the departure tax included in the ticket. Now you're saying GOL does as well.

Air Canada also includes the departure tax in the ticket.

Back