New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

fifilafiloche said:
I think that Argentina should go further, and fulfill your desire to transform this tax as a fee, by asking a visa to countries that demand a visa for their citizens. Simple question of balance.

And the government of Argentina should be clear and call it what it is:

A visitor's visa with an applicable application fee.

Because this new "tax" / "fee" is smoke and mirrors.

What I don't understand is why Argentina makes its so difficult to bring money into this country??? I mean, business wise, you are spending here in the local economy but they force you to jump through hoops to bring in more than $4000 USD a month. You would think they would love to have as much money come in as possible.

arty said:
What I don't understand is why Argentina makes its so difficult to bring money into this country??? I mean, business wise, you are spending here in the local economy but they force you to jump through hoops to bring in more than $4000 USD a month. You would think they would love to have as much money come in as possible.

Though this question has nothing to do with this thread, it's a very good one. The answer lies in the history of political-economic corruption in Argentina and the regs are an effort to combat money laundering, especially for the purpose of tax evasion (including revenue from the sale of illegal drugs) and the financing of international terrorism.

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=62582

iStar said:
And the government of Argentina should be clear and call it what it is:

A visitor's visa with an applicable application fee.

Because this new "tax" / "fee" is smoke and mirrors.

Regardless of what it's called, if it seriously deters US or Canadian tourists from visiting it will probably be dropped or at least suspended.

malbec said:
This is the funniest thing I have read in a while :)
Try as an Argentinian to get refugee status in Canada!

That's my point, someone from Argentina claiming to be a refugee probably wouldn't succeed because there is no real legit reason to flee Argentina except maybe "economic" reasons. Thus why I said "economic refugee".

Having said that, the process of exhausting a refugee claim in Canada after appeals etc... can take up to 2 years! All the meanwhile getting free health care, language and career training, welfare or you can work and earn more money because you'd have a work permit. Better yet, work for cash and get welfare. OOOPs I've said too much ;)

malbec said:
And: i don't think the fee would put off any Argentinian trying to ilegally enter into Canada, US or whathever. The cost of the plane ticket does! What are 70 dollars compared to 1000?

Well people consider it an "investment" spend $1000 airfare and pay the VISA fee to enter Canada and once there you claim you are a refugee and the money and benefits start kicking in...

Sounds less risky than investing in the stock market these days!

iStar, you certainly make very valid points, and I really appreciate your perspective. :)

However, it is my opinion that visas just don't work anyway. In the U.S., 40% of the 11 million illegal immigrants came with visas and overstayed them. I don't know what your take would be on this, but it seems to me that the policy isn't working very well when almost half of the illegal immigrants in the U.S. actually had a visa at some point. (It's even worse that the other half didn't even go through the process!)

I think the goal should be to make immigration more accessible because this attempt to keep "them" out isn't working and will never work. Furthermore, it's quite peculiar that Canada and the U.S. -- both countries who were populated by many "economic refugees" in the past -- are so willing to ignore the plight of today's immigrants. Perhaps Canada and the U.S. could use all of the foreign aid that they throw away to corrupt governments for other purposes...

mini said:
Yes. It's on the link. I clicked the link & it opened right up to the front page & there it is.

Thanks. It doesn't come up in Google Chrome, but it does in Firefox.

Cheng said:
Thanks for the update. Has anyone been charged this fee? When did this start? Could someone please update?

I arrived yesterday and wasn´t charged a fee.

I was, however, asked by the immigration agent what I´m doing here, and I noticed he had an attitude that I don´t normally get from the guy at the window (sometimes they ask if I live here because of my Argentine accent and I giggle and respond that I´m just visiting friends. I´ve never been scrutinized). I told him I was visiting friends and that I was thinking about getting a student visa and starting a graduate degree the next semester. He suggested that I do the latter and make myself legal. I asked if anything had changed from before with respect to the tourist visa status and he didn´t answer my question, citing instead (again with attitude) that I´d been coming in and out of Argentina since 2007 (actually it´s since 2006 but I didn´t correct him). I mentioned that I had been travelling in Argentina, Chile, Brazil, and Uruguay as well, and that since 2006 when I was laid off in the U.S. I hadn´t worked. He didn´t really respond and sent me away with my stamped passport.

bradlyhale,

VISA's are there for the purpose of weening out legit tourists vs. illegal immigration. (Something Argentina doesn't have to worry about coming from Canada, USA or Australia)

Having said that, no system works 100% as you mention above. But think about this.. what would the number be if the USA didn't have a VISA requirement in place?

There is a cost to the tax payer in ensuring that immigrants receive the proper support they require to settle into their new country. These resources are not unlimited nor is the funding. As such only so many immigrants are allowed in.

I can only speak from a Canadian perspective... Canada was built on immigration, my parents being one of them. Canada NEEDS immigrants.

Now keep mind the population of Canada is 33 million people. I don't think Canada is ignoring the plight of today's immigrants.

Here are some stats: Canada: Record number of immigrants in 2007

Canada admitted 429,649 permanent residents, temporary foreign workers, and foreign students more than 60,000 higher than four years ago, Citizenship and Immigration Canada said in a release.

"These numbers show that our immigration program is responding to Canada's needs, particularly our economic needs," Diane Finley, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration said. "Labor shortages are being felt in sectors across the country. Immigration is helping to meet labor demands and to ensure industries are able to remain competitive in the global economy."

Finley noted that immigration is taking on a more important role in supporting Canada's growing economy and the country will continue to bring in people with the right skills to address both short and long-term labor market needs.

"At the same time, we must also help ensure the success of immigrants by helping them settle and integrate into Canadian society," she added.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2008-03-17/record-number-immigrants-canada-2007.htm

Back