New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

Sleuth said:
Thanks. It doesn't come up in Google Chrome, but it does in Firefox.

Ah! Well, dump that Google chrome thing! Stick with Firefox ;)

What I want to know is... how are they going to collect the fee at EZE?

As it is now, when you land you join the immigration line and they stamp your passport, will it be the immigration officer who will collect the fee? Or will they screen travelers prior to joining the line up? Will they have a separate line to pay prior to seeing immigration?

I have a feeling it's not going to be very well organized.

steveinbsas said:
I'm curious to know how or why Sleuth and Bron receive emails from the US Embassy.

You didn't actually let them know you are here, did you?

YIKES!

That reminds me of the first line of an old Neil Diamond song:

"Oh, no, no, no, no..."

Why? Does it matter?

The fee is a completely idiotic idea and it is going to hurt tourism. I'm involved with tourism and I see Americans and Canadians visiting Argentina who are on limited budgets. A couple coming here for a week or two will now have to pay $262 USD extra. I predict that there are a lot of people who will go elsewhere. European countries do not charge entry fees to Americans and hotels can be found for prices comparable to what hotels in Argentina are now charging. What's even more incredible is that this policy is being imposed when the US has a new President who has a better image in the world.

I also agree with ISTAR. Argentina is corrupt to the core. No school kids will get school books with this money (Argentine children don't get books in public school folks), none of the endless miles and miles of broken city sidewalks will be repaired with this money, cop cars will still drive around with no headlights, the most polluted river in SA will still flow through the city. The money will go into the political coffers of the ruling mafia and will be spread around as the bribes that public officials are accustomed to here.

The USA is bursting at the seams with economic refugees from failed states. Even in a depression the American dream is better than omnipresent hopelessness back home. A reporter said it best the other night on CNN I think. He said to his knowledge there is no EU dream, no UK dream, and the American dream still draws an endless, almost unstopable deluge of people looking for a better life.

US expatriates show themselves sometimes so nostalgic of their homeland you wonder why they ever thought about moving to such a desolated place like Buenos Aires.

I think it s a question of education. Patriotism is being diffused in every film they watch since their childhood, and having CNN as main source of information doesnt help much taking distance. In school, not only do they have to salute the stars and stripes flag every day (Pledge of Allegiance), but in every course they are being reminded the center of the universe is located right where they are sitting.

As individuals they are capable of self criticism, but in a group, they can t help but singing The Star-Spangled Banner all together, it s a pavlovian reflex.

Remember how the anti patriotic campain worked so fine in 2003? Any doubt about the validity of a military intervention would downgrade the author to a "non american" status, he would be confiscated an important part of his identity...emotional manipulation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhJtRYhJfE

I am in favor of this fee. Now look all the scandal you make because you don`t want to pay $100... do you know the word reciprocity?? I have to pay that to visit your country and I earn in pesos.
It`s simple, if you don`t want to visit Argentina, stay where you are, we are not going to kneel down at your feet begging to visit the country.
I don`t want to hurt your feelings but you act as if we really need you. I believe there are more of argentines vising the US than vice versa.

What we say and think here will not change this decision. Vikingo, you are right: if Americans don't want to pay the fee they don't have to. That's the point - some won't! Tourism will be lost and Argentines will be hurt. I doubt that there are more Argentine tourists in the US than Americans visiting Argentina. Where did you get that idea?

I sincerely hope that the Argentine economy never becomes seriously dependent on revenue from tourists from the USA as I plan to be here if and when the US economy collapses and they stop coming.

Back