New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

2GuysInPM

Registered
It looks like it is now official: :eek:

(main page: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/)

USA: USD $131
Canadian: USD $70 (*single entry)
Australian: USD $100

img_importante.jpg

Thanks for the update. Has anyone been charged this fee? When did this start? Could someone please update?

Hmm so they say single entry for Canadians... I know we give the multiple entry visa (good for 5 years for entries of up to 90days) to Argentines, I think when we got it out for my husband it was $125 or $150 bucks (CAD)... I wonder if they are offering this option for Canadians into Argentina now.

This tax seems still unfair.

If you take into account the average income, it s still way more affordable for US citizens to enter Argentina than for Argentines to enter the US (reciprocity would then be around 700 USD). Add to this the costs and time to go to an embassy to get a visa and the embarassing position of being asked a lot of personal questions as if you were dishonest or dangerous by nature because you come from a poorer country.

Btw, wasnt that tax planed to start on Jan 1st 2009?

Can someone tell me where this is on the site? I could not find the link to it.

Thanks.

Ah.... now I see. I called the Argentine consulate here and they said, no no, there's no new visa with a fee...Canadians don't need a visa to enter.

I guess it's just a fee, with no visa ;-) I do believe I heard it took effect Jan 1, so I won't have to pay it, tho my friend who arrives on Jan 1 may have to. I will report back with what happens.

Ailujjj said:
Ah.... now I see. I called the Argentine consulate here and they said, no no, there's no new visa with a fee...Canadians don't need a visa to enter.

I guess it's just a fee, with no visa ;-) I do believe I heard it took effect Jan 1, so I won't have to pay it, tho my friend who arrives on Jan 1 may have to. I will report back with what happens.

Right! It's just an entry fee, but only the visa transitoria aka tourist visa (good for 90 days) is free. As most members already know, the fee to extend that visa for 90 days is $200 pesos, and the fine for overstaying that visa is now $300 pesos (plus the exit tax). A temporary resident visa (good for one year) costs $600 pesos and is renewable (if conditions are met) for $600 pesos.

I'm still uncertain if this fee will be charged for each and every entry. It looks like it might cost Canadians who go to Colonia (or anywhere else outside of Argentina) to perpetuate their tourist status $70 USD each time they do so. Does anyone know if this is the case? And if it is a "one time fee" for those with US passports, for how long is it valid? If they stamp a US passport acknowledging payment of the fee, is it good until the passport expires (which could be anywhere from six months to almost ten years) or is there a specific expiration date?

fifilafiloche said:
This tax seems still unfair.

If you take into account the average income, it s still way more affordable for US citizens to enter Argentina than for Argentines to enter the US (reciprocity would then be around 700 USD). Add to this the costs and time to go to an embassy to get a visa and the embarassing position of being asked a lot of personal questions as if you were dishonest or dangerous by nature because you come from a poorer country.

Btw, wasnt that tax planed to start on Jan 1st 2009?

I wish we would stop thinking about this in terms of fairness, and maybe more in terms of maturity. I find these reciprocity policies very childish. I certainly see the point about fairness, but what I don't understand is why any country would want to lower itself to the same level as United States, Australia, Canada, etc.? You and I both bemoan the discrimination that Argentines and others face when coming to these countries. Why should it be OK for Argentina to be just as discriminatory? Do two wrongs make a right here?

bradlyhale said:
I wish we would stop thinking about this in terms of fairness, and maybe more in terms of maturity. I find these reciprocity policies very childish. I certainly see the point about fairness, but what I don't understand is why any country would want to lower itself to the same level as United States, Australia, Canada, etc.?

Lower itself? That's a bit harsh don't you think?

Correct me if I'm wrong but someone from Argentina who wants to visit Canada must apply for a tourist VISA and pay the applicable fee. One reason for this is so Canadian officials can screen for potential "economic refugees". So there is actual "work" done by consulate staff, thus the fee involved to process the application.

Given the ongoing economic situation here I could see why people would want to pick up and leave if they could. Some have, as I know several friends from Argentina who live in Toronto. They obtained a tourist VISA and never returned.

These VISA requirements are there for several reasons one of which its NOT is a cash grab! This new Argentina "entry fee" is a cash grab plain and simple.

There is no work done or service provided by any government official. I think it's very short-sighted thinking (No surprise there). The last thing Argentina wants to do is make itself more expensive to tourists. Tourism is already down, I don't see this fee helping.

When people talk about this fee being fair or being mature... I don't think Argentina has a problem with "economic refugees" from Canada, USA or Australia.

Back