New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

steveinbsas said:
December 20, 2009.

???????????????

Source?
I would like to know, because I have a friend landing here for Christmas on December 22 and I want to warn her.

mendozanow said:
???????????????

Source?
I would like to know, because I have a friend landing here for Christmas on December 22 and I want to warn her.

Didn't you read the previous posts in this thread?

Sleuth said:
Just received this email from the US Embassy:

Airport Entry Fee
December 11, 2009

This warden message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens that on December 20, 2009, the Government of Argentina will begin charging American Citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry fee of $131 U.S. dollars. The fee will be collected only at Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. Once paid, the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States visa reciprocity. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers checks.

U.S. citizens may also call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the U.S. for the latest travel information. The Office of Overseas Citizens Services can be reached from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, M-F, at 1-888-407-4747, or if calling from outside the U.S., at (202)-501-4444. For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section, located at 4300 Avenida Colombia, 1425 Buenos Aires;
telephone+54-11-5777-4354; after hours emergency telephone +54-11-5777-4873; ACS unit fax +54-11-5777-4293; e-mail [email protected]; web page http://argentina.usembassy.gov.

Americans living or traveling in Argentina are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security within Argentina. Americans without internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

Lee said:
I am glad that they are saying FU to America and demanding the fee!

Good for them! :cool:

I love how this is OK for a country to say to the United States, but it's unacceptable if the U.S. says FU to the rest of the world. I love double standards.

At any rate, I don't find this fee to be a "FU" to the U.S. Most people in the United States couldn't careless if Argentines come to the U.S. or not. Furthermore, most U.S. citizens don't even have a passport, so no traveling to Argentina or anywhere outside of the U.S. If the purpose of this fee is to change U.S. policy on visas given to Argentines, this is not the way to go about it.

What's more ridiculous is that the only people that might be able to change this policy (or are even aware of it) are those who travel to Argentina from the U.S. -- a very, very small minority. Instead of winning hearts and minds, they're alienating visitors to the country. Not quite smart, but not shocking either considering conventional wisdom in Argentina says that in order to effect change, one must inconvenience everyone else. (blocking highways, cutting off access to the airport, etc. etc.).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, some are going to say, "Well, the U.S. alienates people who come to the U.S. It's only fair!" And? I'm often quite embarrassed as an U.S. citizen when I'm walking through customs or security checkpoints and see non-citizens getting harassed or yelled at because they can't understand some TSA officer slurring a bunch of mumbojumbo in English that I can't even understand. My question is, why in the world would any mature, respectful country want to copy this way of treating its guests?

Whatever Argentina's motive is for this fee, why must it mimic the policies of the U.S.? Call me crazy, but I would like to live in a world where I am seen as a human being, not as a foreigner or a U.S. citizen.

Humanity over nationality.

bradlyhale said:
Whatever Argentina's motive is for this fee, why must it mimic the policies of the U.S.?

The motive is $$$$ plain and simple. I don't believe it mimics any US policy other than the VISA application fee which I've said before, there is an actual "service" being done by government in processing the application and the fee is to recoup the costs.

Now tell me what is the government of Argentina doing... NOTHING.

If they are gonna mimic the US why not do what the US does... Place a VISA restriction for visitors and charge a fee to process the application.

OH wait that's too much work! It's easier and less expensive to set up collection booths at the airport.

Lee said:
OK...well lets just look at this shall we...that fee is the cost of 1 good dinner in Argentina...so if that stops some American from coming here then Argentina is better off NOT having that broke ass motherfucker here to start with! There are plenty of other REAL 3rd world destinations for backpackers in Central and South America! :)

It will have ZERO effect on tourism at all...at least the sort of tourist that they want here.

one good dinner for how many people??? 131$ for food and wine is a lot of money for a dinner here.. please tell me where you dine at.

bradlyhale said:
I love how this is OK for a country to say to the United States, but it's unacceptable if the U.S. says FU to the rest of the world. I love double standards.

At any rate, I don't find this fee to be a "FU" to the U.S.....

Yeah, yeah, yeah, some are going to say, "Well, the U.S. alienates people who come to the U.S. It's only fair!" ...

Whatever Argentina's motive is for this fee, why must it mimic the policies of the U.S.?

How can this fee be considered an FU to the US when it also applies to Canada and Australia?

What about England?

If Argentina has a beef (sorry) with any country and wants to say FU, shouldn't England be their first choice (remember the Malvinas/Falklands)??

Lee said:
OK...well lets just look at this shall we...that fee is the cost of 1 good dinner in Argentina...so if that stops some American from coming here then Argentina is better off NOT having that broke ass motherfucker here to start with! There are plenty of other REAL 3rd world destinations for backpackers in Central and South America! :)

It will have ZERO effect on tourism at all...at least the sort of tourist that they want here.

So ridiculous.

Lee said:
OK...well lets just look at this shall we...that fee is the cost of 1 good dinner in Argentina...so if that stops some American from coming here then Argentina is better off NOT having that broke ass motherfucker here to start with!

$USD131 is about $500 pesos. Geez, man, where are you eating out?

Back