New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

citygirl said:
there were lots of unhappy people who didn't know about the new fee. Apparently they're not publicizing this fee yet. Nor did the airline make any announcement about it.

I shared a taxi from EZE yesterday with a couple of girls from the USA and they said it was announced numerous times during the flight - not sure what airline it was though

2GuysInPM said:
Hi,

Yes, it is not possible to enter Brazil just with your DNI, unless you are a citizen of a Mercosur country. I've been going to Brazil at least once a year since 2007. I have a DNI, and as a US citizen, you need your Passport and a pricey Visa to get in. They offer no entry waiver of any kind for "extranjero" DNI holders. Not for the costly visa, not even for discounts to Brazilian national parks (like Iguazu), something Mercosur citizens usually get. But I should note that there are some border tour agencies that claim to cross you over without the need for a Visa. Only problem is that is illegal, and if you get caught you will face a big fine and possible jail time.

Good for Chile on the DNI waiver. Argentine-DNI holders will also avoid this new reciprocity fee here upon entry. But in both cases, as a US citizen with an Argentine "extranjero" DNI, you still need your US passport to enter either country, or any Mercosur country for that matter. (at least through the main border crossings)

Cheers :)

Okay, since I have had this discussion I have talked first-hand with 4 people (3 Americans, and a Canadian, one of the yanks multiple times) from reciprocating countries with Aregntine resident DNI´s who have told me that they have entered Brazil without visas using their DNI´s without having to produce their passports. In fact, I have heard two Americans arguing about this, one of them calling the one who did it a liar, and I wanted to ask if one of them was "2guysinpm". ;)This is not something I have tried, if I lived closer to Brazil I might.

Again, HAS ANYONE FROM THE US , CANADA OR OTHER RECIPROCATING COUNTRY ACTUALLY TRIED THIS? 2GuysInPM never answered that question.

I travel regularly to Uruguay with my American passport. I've never been asked for my DNI.
It is one or the other - I can use my DNI or my passport.

The DNI is good only for adjoining countries (paises limitrofes): Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay.

Yes, that is clear SaraSara, but no visa is required for Americans or Canadians of any kind to enter Uruguay, unlike Brazil or Paraguay. :)

SaraSara said:
I travel regularly to Uruguay with my American passport. I've never been asked for my DNI.
It is one or the other - I can use my DNI or my passport.

The DNI is good only for adjoining countries (paises limitrofes): Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay.

Are you sure?

If you are from a non Mercosur country I believe a passport is required for travel to, other Mercosur countries, even if you have an Argentine DNI. Some forum members have posted that this is the case for entry to Brazil, but others have posted that they were able to enter Brazil with an Argentine (non-Mercosur) DNI...(perhaps it's hit and miss).

The folks at Argentine migraciones know that this travel is routine for non-Mersocur foreigners without a DNI. They don't expect the vast majority of those making the trip to have one in the first place...so why would they ask for one?

Yes, I'm sure the DNI is enough for neighboring countries - that is, countries sharing a border with Argentina.

My daughter is American and has an Argentine DNI (the kind issued to foreign residents). She has used it often to visit me in Colonia.

I have a Uruguay Cedula as I am a uruguay resident. I have a US passport. I only need my Uruguay ID to come to Argentina. I do not use my passport here. To visit Brazil I need a visa. This is my understanding.

mendozanow; No, that wasn't us calling someone a liar. Not sure what that's about.

I can only speak about our experience; We have never entered Brazil without a visa. When we asked about it at the Brazilian consulate (a few years back), they said our DNI was irrelevant and that Visa requirements are based on citizenship/passport, not residency. I remember reading something very similar on the Brazil embassy or consulate web site a while ago as well. But things change, and you can always contact them and get an official response. Be sure to tell them about your citizenship, passport, DNI, and residency visa type so they can give you a specific answer.

Tel. 4515 6500, email: [email protected]
http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01engl.asp

We're heading back to Iguazu in April, and we're picking up our visas this Monday. Will report back if there's anything new.

Good luck! :)

With my Extranjero Mercosur DNI, I can enter Chile and Uruguay with not having to show my US passport. Brazil could be stricter and I never heard of some someone entering Brazil just with their Extranjero DNI.

There is no such thing as an Non-Mercosur Argentine DNI. All Argentine DNI's for citizens or residents are all MERCOSUR.

There have been however several stories of people not needing a tourist or transit visa to connect in flights via Brazil, but I have yet to confirm it.

Maikito said:
There is no such thing as an Non-Mercosur Argentine DNI. All Argentine DNI's for citizens or residents are all MERCOSUR.

You are correct. There is no such thing as a non-Merscour DNI.

I should have used the word EXTRANJERO!

I think your post "nailed" it.

Thanks!

Back