New Family In Ba

Kriegerf

Registered
Hello people,

My family (wife and three children 9, 7, 2) are expected to come to BA in the summer. I have some questions about international community of people sending their kids to the Lincoln school. I would like to make sure we pick a neighborhood, preferred gated communities where my kids future friends are living. Is there anyone living there who is also on assignment?? Company will pay for rent so I'm very flexible on costs. Two main priorities are safety (as much as possible...) and international community.
Thank you for your support.

Uri

There are plenty of gated communities? Called "countries" here.

Also called "barrios cerrados" or "barrios privados" although I would usually say "countries" as well. Countries are not my thing, but I have friends that like them here in Cordoba. I am only familiar with Pilar in Gran BsAs. Many amenities. That's quite a poke to the center though.

I would like to make sure we pick a neighborhood, preferred gated communities where my kids future friends are living. Is there anyone living there who is also on assignment?? Company will pay for rent so I'm very flexible on costs. Two main priorities are safety (as much as possible...) and international community.

Hi Uri,

A gated community will offer a higher level of "security" but it is unlikely you will find any one location that is populated by a significant number of foreigners with kids who attend the Lincoln school.. Hopefully, other member of the forum with kids in the Lincoln school will provide more information.

Meanwhile, I suggest you check to see of your employer is willing to provide a "garantia" which will be required if you want a long term (2 year) lease. You will find that most homes that can be rented long term are not furnished (usually, only the stove is provided). You would have to buy all the furniture as well as major appliances: fridge, washer/dryer, air conditioners, etc...possibly light fixtures and curtains as well.

Short term leases do not require a garantina, are almost always furnished and may be renegotiated, but legally cannot be more than six months.

Gated communities are usually outside the city. It's pretty common in boring US neighborhood. But many Argies think they are big deal here, I always hear Argie friends brag about it, they are relatively new here. Some Argies like the closed country clubs, American style stores. Probably not many expats there. It requires driving all the time. It will give your kids and family very different experience. On the other hands, if I have 3 kids, I would like them to be in a safe environment. How about Palermo Chico, in the embassy area, with federal security guards around, you are still in town, the rent is high, you can rent a place that diplomats like rent, and their kids are probably all there too. It's a beautiful area, you can rent a big apartment or a house, if cost is not an issue. No offense to people live in Belgrano, it's not as safe or exciting as Palermo Chico. I get bored each time I visit there. Maybe I just do not know the hot spots.

Drives me totally crazy. The butchering of the English language(they also do it with Spanish and Italian) in Argeland.

Shopping center becomes "shopping"... without context a true horror. Country club becomes country and I reckon that's how all gated communities became "countries". I could keep going. Fo they not realize how ridiculous it sounds? No one has ever tried to set them straight? Am I the only English speaker who's driven to insanity by these things (other than ajoknoblauch)?

There are a couple of gated communities near Lincoln. I think one is called San Isidro Chico. Maybe???? Your rent is likely to be $7000.00 USD per mo. +. Your radius is fairly large as Lincoln runs little buses to pick up and deliver the kiddies. So San Isidro, Olivos, La Lucila, Martinez Accususo are all in play.

Drives me totally crazy. The butchering of the English language(they also do it with Spanish and Italian) in Argeland.

Shopping center becomes "shopping"... without context a true horror. Country club becomes country and I reckon that's how all gated communities became "countries". I could keep going. Fo they not realize how ridiculous it sounds? No one has ever tried to set them straight? Am I the only English speaker who's driven to insanity by these things (other than ajoknoblauch)?

Is this a joke?

Back