New Family In Ba

So Argentina is not América, Matías?

Not again, please!

Argentina is South America, which is part of America. But Americans, and a lot of people world wide, refer to Americans only to the people of the States. I use Americans here because is an expat forum. But yes, I consider all in all Argentinians are Americans too.

Hi, just for the sake of discussion, we are not American, and never lived there. And my kids speaks three languages already... Spanish will be fourth. They always lived in international community and this is why for them, that would be natural. Not trying to change anyone :)

Just to be clear, I wasnt talking of you, but of these people, that exist, and do what I said.

Not again, please!

Argentina is South America, which is part of America. But Americans, and a lot of people world wide, refer to Americans only to the people of the States. I use Americans here because is an expat forum. But yes, I consider all in all Argentinians are Americans too.

I am a US citizen, but refrain from saying "American." That said, I agree that words can have multiple meanings and context is critically important.

Coming from Texas you should be familiar with the butchering of the Spanish language by English speakers. Fahitas anyone?

Germano, I never said the butchering of Spanish didn't bother me... in TX, NY, nor here.

I am a US citizen, but refrain from saying "American." That said, I agree that words can have multiple meanings and context is critically important.

Serious question. No offense. Was that a lifelong conviction or a result of marrying into your wife's family?

I know of very savoury Fajitas all over in the states, but do not know what a Fahitas means>?
Is it edible ? or is it something,or some person perhaps of middle east origin ?

Serious question. No offense. Was that a lifelong conviction or a result of marrying into your wife's family?

I would say it's a result of my having become bilingual in Spanish, and also preferring greater precision in language. If someone asks me where I'm from, I'll usually say "California," though I'll occasionally say "Fargo" because I was born there (most Argentines have never heard of Dakota del Norte, but many are familiar with Fargo). If they prefer to say "americano," fine.

I would say it's a result of my having become bilingual in Spanish, and also preferring greater precision in language. If someone asks me where I'm from, I'll usually say "California," though I'll occasionally say "Fargo" because I was born there (most Argentines have never heard of Dakota del Norte, but many are familiar with Fargo). If they prefer to say "americano," fine.

I always refer to you as the guy from Fargo. I totally get the language precision part but it's hard since we really don't have a proper word for us considering that our country has no actual name. Not that it would matter to Argentines. They'd still use the word I dread so much, the y word.

I wonder what they would say if we started calling all of them Santafesinos. They'd surely start correcting us and not many would get it. "Yanqui" "Gallegos" I just shake my head.

Back