New guy in town

MarcJ

Registered
Hi everyone, I've just arrived from south florida and am hoping to meet some people soon. Anyone have any suggestions for places to go, groups or organizations where I can meet other expats living here? Thank you for any suggestions and I'm looking foward to meeting some of you soon!

Hiya dude, Raymond here. I am a kiwi living here for the last 7weeks.
maybe you could check out the buenos aires pub crawl which hits san telmo and palermo four nights a week, it`s a good way to orientate...and disorientate yourself around the city and meet some expat peeps. details below....
We currently meet every Thursday in Palermo beside the fountain in Plaza Campaña del Desierto AKA Plaza Armenia at the intersection of Costa Rica and Armenia 9pm
We meet every Monday, Friday and Saturday evening in San Telmo at Cyrano Resto-Bar. Located at Chile 686 (between Peru and Chacabuco), 9pm
hope this helps, have fun, it is a great city!
Raymond

Hi Marc,I suggest you check out South American Explorers on 577 Estados Unidos in San Telmo! South American Explorers is a non-profit organization that aims to facilitate your experience in Buenos Aires and South America. We provide a variety of useful services to our members including Buenos Aires set-up information, travel information, hundreds of discounts in restaurants, bars, hostels etc., volunteer resources and more. You should come by and meet us so that you can check out the Clubhouse, which is a cozy space to meet people equipped with wifi, computers, book exchange, library, and a kitchen! Even if you weren't interested in becoming a member, we have great events at an affordable price. Our upcoming events include a Culture of Tango Lecture, San Telmo Gallery Hop, and an All-You-Can-Drink Night! Check out our website for more info: http://www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires/or email me at [email protected] with any questions!

Thanks for all the tips. i checked out the pub crawl but it looked like
something that might have been more appealing when i was 20, not as
much in my 30's. So far i've been loving it and found a great fun bar
in palermo soho called Sugar that seems to attract a lot of expats and
argentines and has the best happy hour i've come across with pints of
quilmes and mixed drinks for 5 pesos til midnight daily. I think i met more great people and got better info going there than any guide book i came across.

HAHA

You may need that insurance after putting away that" premium "quality Quilmes and 8 peso a bottle rott-gut domestic booze. But hey to each his own I guess. Personally I like Madahos, though the chica drinks can get a bit pricey.
Suerte

I didnt say I'm the one downing those "tragos nacionales" did i. Agreed, i can't handle those cheap booze hangovers anymore but Quilmes, not so bad. Good place to meet fellow expats though and fun crown. i've found it tough to find good relaxed bars where its easy to talk to people you don't know. It seems argentines like to come with a group of friends and sit down at a table with a liter of beer or a bottle of wine which makes it pretty tough to talk to them in that environment. Any recommendations on other bars and fun places to meet easygoing people. Thanks everyone.

hey dont forget to try: `gibraltar`when in san telmo cnr peru y estados unidos or `porta roja` red door on chacabuco between chile and indepencia.
raymond

Hi Marc. We've just moved to BsAs and are also keen to meet with like minded folk. You sound like you're doing well meeting so many people so quickly! You fancy meeting 2 more?!

Back