new in the forum, hello :)my husband want to move to BA.

When i visit BA i always bump into tourists who tell me how amazing they find the city, i never had this experience, not even the first time. With the kind of work i do i wont spent all that much time in the city so it should be ok. I think a year will be enough for my husband to realise that it's a great place for holidays. Or i'll take up smoking, grow my hair, go into therapy and fall in love with the place ;)

Tourists do rave about it, no doubt. I came here as a tourist twice, spent a couple of months here in total and LOVED Buenos Aires (and the rest of Argentina). But, once you live here, have to do tramites, deal with any public department, bank, supermarket, then, you start to understand the political & cultural environment, become more involved with the people (of course there are some great ones, dont get me wrong I have some good porteño mates and an Argy girlfriend) etc etc that love tends to fade. Dont get me wrong, I still really enjoy my time here and plenty of things about BA - the accessibility of everything, learning "castellano", the nightlife, the wine, asado, empanadas etc, the ice cream, girls are gorgeous to look at (albeit festy), the weather is great, plenty of parks, some of the architecture, the emotion & openness of many people etc. But, I certainly couldnt see myself here for the long haul, a few years will do it and me and my gf will be return to Aust. Its definitely more fun here as a tourist!!

LCC, I dont think it would be the worst idea in the world though, a year or 2 here might be a really good experience if you dont have troubles getting work etc. I dont know your exact situation lines of work of you and your husband (or your ages), but keep in mind economically its not great here, it may not be easy to find work here (or alteast in the line you are after). Having said that, if you can find work and you come with an open mind and the knowledge you can always go back to Aust if you dont like it, it could be a great experience. I certainly wouldnt change a thing if I could.

Back