New More Money Transfers Notice (Xoom Related)

It's no secret , I go to Colonia to
What would you suggest? Bring money in with an ATM machine at official rates and fees?

Tom, some expats go to Colonia to obtain dollars from the ATM there.
Also most expats, don't disclose where they exchange their dollars in fear that if divulged they may be closed by the AFIP, and left without a supplier of pesos. The exchange rate today is $6,85 per dollar, however if you bargain at Florida may get better rates ? $6,90.

Now if you find a private party needing to buy US$ may be willing to pay $7,05, lets say tell your landlord or other Argentinians, you will see how it works. Some Argentinias want a dollar transfer to their USA account and will pay you here in pesos, at blue rate.

Good luck

It's no secret , I go to Colonia to

Tom, some expats go to Colonia to obtain dollars from the ATM there.
Also most expats, don't disclose where they exchange their dollars in fear that if divulged they may be closed by the AFIP, and left without a supplier of pesos. The exchange rate today is $6,85 per dollar, however if you bargain at Florida may get better rates ? $6,90.

Now if you find a private party needing to buy US$ may be willing to pay $7,05, lets say tell your landlord or other Argentinians, you will see how it works. Some Argentinias want a dollar transfer to their USA account and will pay you here in pesos, at blue rate.

Good luck

Oh NO! You revealed your secret!!!!!!

Defies my intellect why would some one want to do this at that Inferior Rate...!! Well...

a. because I am not in argentina at the moment.
b. because I wanted to test that a transfer directly to my bank account does work vs a pick up at one of their locations.
c. because the few pesos lost in this "test" transfer are not worth me getting off my computer and going to a cueva (or Colonia!) when I get back to BA.

With all these new regulations i just wanted to know if it was still OK to Xoom the money.

I have not yet found a safe place to exchange US for Pesos at a Better Rate as Rich One states.

With all these new regulations i just wanted to know if it was still OK to Xoom the money.

I have not yet found a safe place to exchange US for Pesos at a Better Rate as Rich One states.

Me neither.

It's 100% OK to send yourself money, but if you are a "tax resident" it's totally BAD not to report your income to AFIP and now they know exactly how much you are receiving. If the source of the funds is savings they're only subject to the bienes personales tax (which is still less than 2% if your assets exceed $305K pesos).

I xoomed $450 USD to myArgentine bank account today and received $2970 pesos. The fee was les than $15 USD.

I did not have to withdraw cash at an ATM (the closest one is 8 Kmtrs. from my house) and I'm not going to hunt for a better rate in the streets of Bahia Blanca.

If I had used an ATM I woud have received $2115.

Me neither.

It's 100% OK to send yourself money, but if you are a "tax resident" it's totally BAD not to report your income to AFIP and now they know exactly how much you are receiving. If the source of the funds is savings they're only subject to the bienes personales tax (which is still less than 2% if your assets exceed $305K pesos).

I xoomed $450 USD to myArgentine bank account today and received $2970 pesos. The fee was les than $15 USD.

I did not have to withdraw cash at an ATM (the closest one is 8 Kmtrs. from my house) and I'm not going to hunt for a better rate in the streets of Bahia Blanca.

If I had used an ATM I woud have received $2115.

Search for Xoom Coupon codes on the internet and save the $15.

We transferred last week with no problems and were even concerned about having to bring bank statements since we were going to be pushing the $40K peso limit, but they didn't even ask for them. We were thinking maybe it resets January 1 and isn't on a rolling calendar. We were literally in and out in less than 10 minutes Zoom! :rolleyes:

Back