New restaurant, need opinions

Having free Internet acces will help: a couple of netbooks for free use maybe?

citygirl said:
So IMHO, the location just wouldn't work. And while the area is indeed a good one, my office is there, a lot of people go home after work. After all, there's probably a reason your friend doesn't do dinner !

The reason he does not do dinner is because he has a job, a restaurant, runs a hostel and his second child was born a week ago. He just doesn't have the time to do it, but he wants to do it at night.

HenryNisental said:
Having free Internet acces will help: a couple of netbooks for free use maybe?

There is already free wifi at the restaurant. Not sure we could do the netbooks, but the wifi is there.

Install one of this and you will enjoy instant success.

_42284304_061106_metegol1_203.jpg

Ok the restaurant is a go. But we still have a lot of planning that we will have to do before we can think about opening.

The biggest question is of the menu.

So I would like to ask for more recommendations. What foods would you like to see in a new restaurant?

Hey Tim,

All my family on my mother side lives in Mercedes. Nice small city, good luck on the restaurant !!

-Juan

-Decent vegetarian options! I am so sick of being limited to the ensalada mixta in 95% of restaurants, because even the lenteja stew contains ham and the empanadas are cooked in beef fat. I'd love to be able to go to a "non-veggie place" and order a hummus wrap, tofu stir-fry, vegetarian paella, stuffed portabello.
-Black pepper on the tables! Right there in a shaker, next to the salt.
-Soup! There is far too little soup available in this city. Tomato basil, minestrone, lentil, carrot ginger - I'm not picky!
-No cover/sharing charges. These are ridiculous.
-Compensating for incorrect orders. The worst dining experience of my life was at Sattva -- the waiter accidentally gave me soy sauce for my salad instead of balsamic vinegar, and then after I'd doused my meal in it, refused to replace the dish, take it off the bill, or even apologize. Even the owner shrugged and said there was nothing she could do.
-Spiciness. If a salsa is advertised as "picante," it should be picante, not just "salty with a weird red-pepper flavor."

va2ba said:
The biggest question is of the menu.

So I would like to ask for more recommendations. What foods would you like to see in a new restaurant?
I wouldn't recommend any imported food items that are also produced here. No matter how crapo the local version is, you won't be able to get a much higher quality imported substitute.

So if quality is important, plan around that.

It's a good idea. Vicente Lopez is very safe!

I think you need a mexican cheff, that makes some "guacamole, enchiladas, rajas, salsa de chicharron" hhmmm I got hungry :p

And the most important: many drinks (margaritas, piña colada), shots (tequila) and beers (stella, heineken). with some promotions, maybe girls no cover, welcome drink or free drinks for 1 hour or something (boys always follow the girls)

The music, maybe could be quiet music, but later, I mean after 10pm could be a little faster :D

Good luck and let me know when you open! :)

pr44 said:
It's a good idea. Vicente Lopez is very safe!

I think you need a mexican cheff, that makes some "guacamole, enchiladas, rajas, salsa de chicharron" hhmmm I got hungry :p

Well, as it so happens, our chef is Mexican, so we will defiantly have part of our focus on providing quality Mexican food.

One word: PICANTE!!!!

I don't mean Argentine picante, I mean picante de verdad! I really miss some of the strong flavors of American food and spiciness is certainly something that is lacking here. If I could find a place that had hot sauce that was really hot I would probably be there everyday. I even went to a mexican restaurante here, asked for hot sauce and they gave me what tasted like tomatoe sauce!

I know a lot of people here who complain about the poor selection and quality of beer here. I am not really that much of a drinker to know but that's what they tell me anyway. Maybe if you could offer a good tasting beer from the US at a reasonable price you could attrack a crowd.

And I do think finger food sounds like a good idea. I will admit it, maybe I am a ill mannered American but sometimes I get tired of eating pizza with a knife and fork. I kind of miss eating chicken wings with my hands. Sounds gross, but it's true.

Back