New The Economist Article with Cristina Witch Drawing LOL

YanquiGallego

Registered
Very interesting article in The Economist (the second in one week)
about Argentina's inflation problem:

http://www.economist.com/node/21548229

I especially love the drawing of Cristina as a witch stirring the cauldron LOL It´s funny but it´s not, the country is really in the spotlight now as having an inflation rate that is catching up to Venezuela and is really getting a bad rep in general.

It´s a shame because it´s such a great country with so much potential but no one likes to pay 20 pesos for sparkling water at a very standard restó on Avenida Santa Fé.

I have some friends visiting from Spain and they feel cash strapped even with the Euro exchange rate.

And before the rants start about how its bitter expats still wishing for the days of $10 USD steak dinners and $2 USD wines, there is a difference in appreciating value visiting or living in a specific country and outright exploitation. Anyone who has travelled has probably travelled to a specific place in order to enjoy things being cheaper in X location.

I wouldn´t expect a city like Buenos Aires to cost the near equivalent of a US city because the salaries and ways people earn their money are not comparable, so yes, I personally would generally expect to pay considerably less for goods/services here, and don´t think the inflation is in line with this nor is it friendly or encouraging for tourists including business travellers/conventioners to chose BA over other places.

For some produce, inflation is way over 20%. Look at milk, used to cost under $3 in 2008 and now costs over $6. I was buying local peanut butter for $12.50 a pot one year ago and now it's $16.50. Cheese used to be about $7 a block of gouda in 2008. Now it's $22. Even the so-called correct figures are way off.

YanquiGallego said:
Very interesting article in The Economist (the second in one week)
about Argentina's inflation problem:

http://www.economist.com/node/21548229

I especially love the drawing of Cristina as a witch stirring the cauldron LOL It´s funny but it´s not, the country is really in the spotlight now as having an inflation rate that is catching up to Venezuela and is really getting a bad rep in general.

It´s a shame because it´s such a great country with so much potential but no one likes to pay 20 pesos for sparkling water at a very standard restó on Avenida Santa Fé.

I have some friends visiting from Spain and they feel cash strapped even with the Euro exchange rate.

And before the rants start about how its bitter expats still wishing for the days of $10 USD steak dinners and $2 USD wines, there is a difference in appreciating value visiting or living in a specific country and outright exploitation. Anyone who has travelled has probably travelled to a specific place in order to enjoy things being cheaper in X location.

I wouldn´t expect a city like Buenos Aires to cost the near equivalent of a US city because the salaries and ways people earn their money are not comparable, so yes, I personally would generally expect to pay considerably less for goods/services here, and don´t think the inflation is in line with this nor is it friendly or encouraging for tourists including business travellers/conventioners to chose BA over other places.

That what you talk about has also something to do with the Argentine attitude

Back