New to BA and looking to learn how to make the ice cream (helado)

Rduff83

Registered
Hi everyone, my name's Ryan. I'm from Chicago and have been in BA a little over a month now. So far have been getting to know the culture and language a little better while getting settled in. Having a culinary background, one of my favorite things so far has been the helado. What I would really like to do now is to learn how to make the helado. Does anyone know of any helado making classes in BA, or better yet a helado parlor that would let me help out and learn?
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

It's damn easy to make helado.

You need to buy an "heladera" (used on mercadolibre = costs about 80/100 pesos).
You also need a fridge to put the heladera inside.

Then you can make your own helados of your taste (in less than 24 hours, the helado is ready): I made helado of tomatoes + albhaca and such.

French jurist said:

Damn right FJ, my only failures have been with alcohol based ones (Gin & Tonic or Rum & Raisin as the alcohol didnt let them freeze correctly. All hints on that greatly appreciated..unless you tell me to use flavouring and not real alcohol in which case I reserve the right to ignore you....:)
Ryan if you do buy an ice-cream maker beware that it will affect your life positively and your waistline negatively...they talk about the sophomore 15, this is the ice-cream maker 30.

For Rum & Raisin did you heat up the rum ? - not boiling, then put the raisins in, then simmer for a while, this softens the raisins and cooks of the alcohol.

For Gin & Tonic - you make Gin & Tonic - drink it while making rum and raisin ice cream.

My Argentine husband and I also love helado! In fact we researched opening our own heladeria, but haven't gotten around to it yet. What we did find out is that there are classes in Bs As almost every month and they last an average of two weeks. Check out these websites:

http://www.heladoartesanal.com/ (It looks like a training session-capacitación- will start on December 12th)

http://www.mundohelado.com.ar/ (They have a gelatto course every month according to their website)

fifs2 said:
French jurist said:

Damn right FJ, my only failures have been with alcohol based ones (Gin & Tonic or Rum & Raisin as the alcohol didnt let them freeze correctly. All hints on that greatly appreciated..unless you tell me to use flavouring and not real alcohol in which case I reserve the right to ignore you....:)
Ryan if you do buy an ice-cream maker beware that it will affect your life positively and your waistline negatively...they talk about the sophomore 15, this is the ice-cream maker 30.

Never made ice-creams with alcohol but you gave me the idea :p

In case you missed my recipe of the Whisky chicken (sorry... whiskey) :
French jurist said:
The Whisky chicken recipe :

Ingredients :
- a 1.8 kilos chicken (preferably de campo)
- olive oil
- 200 grams of bacon cutted in slices
- one liter of whisky
- a teaspoon of thyme

* preheat the oven (220 C)
* Rinse the chicken
* pat dry with paper toweling
* drink a glass of whisky
* season chicken with salt, pepper and thyme.
* wait until the oven has rreached temperature and help yourself with two other glasses
* oven the open and place the cicken inside, time for another one
* have it cooke for 20 miinuts and turnn ut ipside down, meanwile poor 2 more glass
* the chik shall cok for 30 adddtinal minus, were is th bottlee aahhh

French jurist said:
fifs2 said:
Never made ice-creams with alcohol but you gave me the idea :p

In case you missed my recipe of the Whisky chicken (sorry... whiskey) :

Ah ha so you like your chicks drunk eh? Sorry bad joke..nice recipe though thanks!:p

Back