New York or Miami for shopping

I lived in NYC for 20 years and heading back soon. NYC is a great place to shop, maybe a little less centralize, like in a mega mall. Also you will need to study up on which stores to look for.

Miami or Fort Lauderdale has the largest outlet mall in the world, called Sawgrass Mills , it takes days to even walk thru. You will find EVERYTHING in one place. You will also notice all the Argentine tourist shopping there as well. The last visit I saw a tour group from BA there.

Also Miami has tons of other malls....

citygirl said:
Shopping - better in NYC, esp access to designer and more cutting edge fashions but more expensive in general. However, if she is looking for bargains - she can hit Century 21, Loehmans and of course head to the outlets at Woodbury Commons (enormous).

I accidentally stumbled across Century 21 a couple of weeks ago when I was in NYC and have forgotten to pack any kind of long sleeved/buttoned shirt. I found passable shirts that I will most likely return to Argentina with for a paltry sum of US$19.97. (~AR$90) Anything comparable in Argentina would have been over AR$150 and lower quality. For better shirts, you would be looking at ~AR$200-AR$250. (Again, not great shirts, but passable.)

Also, I was constantly blown away by the architecture in NYC. Have lived in BsAs for 5 years now and having given tours for well over 3, I'm always looking to walk down new streets and almost always have a camera on hand to photograph cool new buildings. But New York was ridiculous! Everything is on such a bigger scale than Buenos Aires that I was blown away. (And it's so much more bike friendly too.)

Your wife can still use her Spanish in NYC, however maybe not EVERYWHERE like in Miami.

Napoleon said:
I accidentally stumbled across Century 21 a couple of weeks ago when I was in NYC and have forgotten to pack any kind of long sleeved/buttoned shirt. I found passable shirts that I will most likely return to Argentina with for a paltry sum of US$19.97. (~AR$90) Anything comparable in Argentina would have been over AR$150 and lower quality. For better shirts, you would be looking at ~AR$200-AR$250. (Again, not great shirts, but passable.)

Also, I was constantly blown away by the architecture in NYC. Have lived in BsAs for 5 years now and having given tours for well over 3, I'm always looking to walk down new streets and almost always have a camera on hand to photograph cool new buildings. But New York was ridiculous! Everything is on such a bigger scale than Buenos Aires that I was blown away. (And it's so much more bike friendly too.)

Your wife can still use her Spanish in NYC, however maybe not EVERYWHERE like in Miami.
for shoe and sneakers checkout Dsw shoes, 2. clothing usually I go to macys herald square they have good sales, sometimes 50 or 75 percent off , H&m and a new store called Uniqlo on fifth ave, you can even go to new jersey and check out the malls.. jersey gardens outlet is pretty close.almost everyone speaks spanish in nyc! so many mexicans,puertoricans, dominicans,ecuadorians!

I was in Miami Beach last week and went to Sawgrass Mills. This is a huge complex favored by foreigners who are shopping in Miami. Every time I've been there its been packed with people. There are even tour buses that bring shoppers the 33 miles from Miami International Airport.
Many of the stores are like big GAPs and Targets but there are also upscale brand stores like Judith Ripka True Religion Brand Jeans Canali TAG Heuer Tumi
Tommy Bahama's Outlet Giorgio Armani General Store Burberry Factory Outlet
kate spade New York
As with most outlet malls, the merchandise for sale is not the same exact quality as is found in the traditional stores.
But the prices at Sawgrass are amazing. And clearly many people are happy with the items they sell.
I bought luggage and brand name computer equipment at ridiculous prices.
Here's their website: http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=1262

United has one flight to the USA whereas AA has 4 leaving almost simultaneously. So most likely the queue at EZE will be longer if you choose AA. AA has a direct service to JFK -normally the fare is higher- so if AA is offering a promo via Mia also consider the lines at immigrations and customers. They are hideous. Instead, UA will fly you via Houston which normally flows smoother. They both use Boeings 763 and 777 with a screen in the seat in front of you. They both charge for vino :). AA is a partner of LAN so if you are a frequent flyer with LAN then you can accrue miles. UA is with the Star Alliance.

on a positive note for AA, if there is a tech problem with the aircraft your chances of being re-routed same day are 4 times higher than with UA. Anyway... good luck and do chose NY! I find Miami very superficial and if shopping is the goal, NY would definitely fulfill your expectations

I've never been to Miami. Am surprised it doesn't have a Sak's. How about a:

-Bloomies,
-Macy's or
-Nordstrom ?

Isn't there an area in Miami that's cool with edgier European brands and more like NYC's Soho and Noho? I thought there was.

LuvBA said:
United has one flight to the USA whereas AA has 4 leaving almost simultaneously.
EZE-IAH
EZE-EWR
EZE-IAD

On a daily basis, all at night as well.

The destination depends on the type of goods the shopper is interested in. For the average shopper, Miami (or even Orlando) outlet malls are the best solution. For people interest in expensive couture items, then go to NYC. NYC is not the place to go for cheap clothing (sure there are a few places, but it is the exception not the rule).

The two most popular malls for tourists are Sawgrass Mills and Aventura... but there's many many more. :p Aventura has Macy's, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom. The Galleria mall has quite a few stores as well.

I'm not much of a shopper, so I wouldn't know how it is in the more trendy areas like South Beach, Las Olas, or Coconut Grove.

Last time I went to Sawgrass (a couple months ago) it was filled with Brazilians... I was a bit surprised because I hadn't been in a long time, but even the salespeople are Brazilian (or hispanic) and I'd say a good 80% of the shoppers were foreigners. A little surreal to be greeted in Spanish or Brazilian in an American mall. :p But that's "Miami"... or Ft. Lauderdale... as the case may be.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either... maybe New York this time and Miami the next. ;)

Back