New York Style Cheesecake & Hot Pastrami Sandwhich

Carnegie Deli sucks. Does anyone go there but tourists? I was dragged there once with some out-of-town friends and was entirely unimpressed.

Zackdotcom said:
I smell a business opportunity!

Ive been saying this for years - Jewish deli in BA is def a money maker I just need some investors, anyone interested :)

For what it's worth Dan of Casa SaltShaker makes a MEAN cheesecake. Delicious, really. Maybe hit him up to add it to a menu when you go (beforehand, of course) or pick a menu when it's being served. Or you could make your own... the ricotta "cheesecake" that are common here are just an insult to real cheesecake.

citygirl said:
Carnegie Deli sucks. Does anyone go there but tourists? I was dragged there once with some out-of-town friends and was entirely unimpressed.

There's always one in the group ;) I feel like I'm back home with that negativity for anything not NY ;)

I should have prefaced my post: I spent most of my life living in New York, with the exception of 6 total years in Massachusetts, then 6 total years in Los Angeles. There likely does not exist a traditional Jewish Deli in Manhattan, Brooklyn or even NJ that I haven't gone to over all that time in my quest for the perfect pastrami sandwich.

I won't speak for other items on various places menus. In my opinion, Carnegie is one of the best for a simple pastrami on rye. I won't bore you with the background info such as the quality of the meat they use, the preparation method, the cut of the meat, etc, as that's not important.

This thread is about helping someone in BA looking for pastrami. If you have any helpful advice, Baires and lots of us would greatly appreciate your help in our quest here in BA.

El Ciervo de Oro in Villa Crespo is the best and most famous Jewish take out for over 30 years now. I actually got myself some awesome hot thick pastrami last Saturday... Yum!

nikad said:
El Ciervo de Oro in Villa Crespo is the best and most famous Jewish take out for over 30 years now. I actually got myself some awesome hot thick pastrami last Saturday... Yum!

I was going to go to Big Mammas this week since it's 3 blocks from where I do some consulting work. But I'm going to hold out until Saturday and give El Ciervo de Oro a try! Like with sushi, I've kept expectations low and look forward to the rare surprise.

Quinn said:
I was going to go to Big Mammas this week since it's 3 blocks from where I do some consulting work. But I'm going to hold out until Saturday and give El Ciervo de Oro a try! Like with sushi, I've kept expectations low and look forward to the rare surprise.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely a place out of expat circuits ;)

Both Nancy and Tom agree that Carnegie's has just about the best pastrami sandwich (can't really say any thing about their other food, always eat the pastrami). NYC is not my home any more, but I did spend my 1st 23 years there.

Nancy

Hmm.. are you surprised that a NYer has a deli opinion? ;) maybe next trip back I will revisit. It was years ago so maybe I missed out or was there on a bad day. But thought it was way over-priced, way too much meat and much prefer Katz, Barney Greengrass, Zabar or even Arties.

Nikad - thanks for the tip on El Ciervo de Oro - will check it out this week!

Back