New Zealand?

Thanks for the replies I have some research to do it seems. Don't get me wrong Urugauy has been great with the exception of the rising crime which is disturbing to say the least. While it is lower here it is obviously going up. We live in a pretty nice area not far from Punta Del Este and the house robberies are epidemic at this point.

Now I want to visit NZ! I want to know more about it! How come there are two main Islands? Why isn't it the same as Australia? What do NZlanders do for a living? What do they eat? Are they so much anglicized or there is a great dose of kiwiness in them? And is kiwi an adjective like criollo or does it refers to natives (I suppose the are called aboriginals in NZ as well?). What are Nzlanders proud of?
So much interesting things going on throughout the world!

Many questions about my country - which is great! It isn't the same as Australia because its a different country with a different history and different people. New Zealanders are famers and factory workers as well as It speciatists and filmamakers, artists etc. What do we eat? A mix of food. There is alot of English inspired cuisine but because we are an island nation there is alot of seafood accessible all year round too. We have many asiatic influences too and Polynesian cultures influence the food in a big way too. Following this ' KIwi' or New Zealanders are not a race of people but a collection of races and cultures to form a common culture and identity. Anyone who has a NZ passport is a New Zealander and a Kiwi.
In response to what our English is like - well its a distinct 'dialect' but still English language. We have our own slang words and ways we talk depending on education and cultural background.

Kiwi is the name of the Native Bird of NZ - you can look it up its very fascinating. Kiwi is a Maori word, the Maori are the indigioness people of NZ and their culture is celebrated and intigrated into the identity of NZ. We are avid rtugby players and the best in the world ( go the All blacks!) we are aslo pround of Sir Edmund Hilary = the first person to climb to the top of Mt Everest. We are proud of being the first country in the world to give women the right to vote and alot of other sport related things too.

I hope this answers your questions :)

Have a go with this kiwi accent. I'm a kiwi but I had to watch this advert 3 times before I understood what they were saying! (I've been away from home too long!)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWirGxV7Q8

Have a go with this kiwi accent. I'm a kiwi but I had to watch this advert 3 times before I understood what they were saying! (I've been away from home too long!)
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=CtWirGxV7Q8

Still better understandable than Scottish, to my ears!
And I never have guessed there were so many people from NZ on this forum, either!

Is there a tight-knit community of Zealanders in BsAs, as well?

What is your relationship with the British crown? Still alive and kicking? Long forgotten? Any resentful feelings? Any other country's former colony?
In 19 years in the school education system I never heard a word about New Zealand except that it was one "of those colonies of the British Empire". Very Europe-centric history!

Still better understandable than Scottish, to my ears!
And I never have guessed there were so many people from NZ on this forum, either!

Is there a tight-knit community of Zealanders in BsAs, as well?

What is your relationship with the British crown? Still alive and kicking? Long forgotten? Any resentful feelings? Any other country's former colony?
In 19 years in the school education system I never heard a word about New Zealand except that it was one "of those colonies of the British Empire". Very Europe-centric history!

I didn;t realise there were so many kiwi's here either! lets do a get together :) haha
The relationship with the crown isn't resentful. It works for NZ. its more within the political system than anything. We fought in both world wars alongside australians for The 'empire' and it was because of this that both australia and new zealand began to develop their own national identities

I lived in NZ for a year and Aus for a year... NZ is SO FREAKING BORING. Do not move there you will be bored to tears after a very short while.
Australia on the other hand is great for city life in Melbourne or Sydney if you can swing it.
I read a book called Sliding into Paradise or something like that about an American guy who moved his family to NZ and was raving about how great it was for x y and z reasons. I wrote to him before I moved there and he said they were actually getting really bored with the life there after a few years, missed good Mexican food (they were from the Bay Area) and didn't really fit in very well socially because of cultural differences.

Hybrid Ambassador: you are really not in a position to be making fun of anyone's English, least of all a native speaker's.

Serafina: google Flight of the Conchords
My position ? What positioning is that? I don't have to be a native English speaker to merit and deserve manifesting that when that Kiwi called me over the phone to talk about my 39 Chevy,I couldn't understand an iota of his spoken idiom. I have my right to freely able to express what I said.
Do I smell racism from your response ?

>My anciano buddy is currently living in NZ, the NZ residency can be attained fast if you can show a modest income.

To meet the minimum income requirements, applicants must have a guaranteed lifetime minimum income of at least NZ$27,319 per annum.

El embajador está mal informado.
Busque las calificaciones para jubilados en una página web en Nueva Zelanda como:
http://www.enz.org/retire

Es muy difícil calificar.
Y!
Como siempre el está lleno de mieda y no sabe de lo que esta hablando.

To my ear Kiwi is closer to English then Porteño is to Spanish.
Oye viejo, no me hinche mis pelotas..Ha,ha,haa

I moved to BsAs, because of work in January 2002 - really not th most opportune time to arrive - and my family and I stayed until 2005, when the company wanted to move me back to my home country (UK): As I had no desire to go there I quit and moved to NZ.
We started our residency application whilst still living in Argentina. The whole process takes into account your age, nationality, training and qualifications, health, whether you have a regular income from abroad, a confirmed job in NZ to go to etc. Once processed your are allocated a quantity of points. The Immigration Service then determines the number of points required to attain residency, depending upon the perceived need of the country for immigrants i.e. if there is a shortage of, say, carpenters and you have that experience, are young (30 ish) then you will likely get a point count of about 130 and the barrier for entry may be set at 100, so residency will come quickly.

I was 47 (the age limit is 55) and had no job offer, when we arrived. Fortunately my ex had qualified as a nurse, so we gained extra points for that, but once we arrived in Auckland, we were faced with a barrage of requirements, relating to health checks, references as to my exs training en Edinburgh etc. During this time my youngest son was not officially allowed to go to school, nor were we officially allowed to do even voluntary work. Fortunately I found work after three months, got my work visa in about 3 days and residency after about 6 weeks.

Having arrived from BsAs, it was a shock to find bars closing at 1000pm once away from the larger population centres. The Kiwis like their barbeques too but inevitably it will be a gas BBQ....and if you do want to use charcoal, it is made from off cuts of plywood and stuff like that, so better off using leña.

I found Auckland OK, with all the beaches, the wonderful views over the bay etc but ultimately prefered Wellington, which is a much smaller and compact city with a very vibrant heart to it. The weather there can be pretty grim at times but, as the locals say, "You can't beat Wellington on a good day"!

Ultimately I ended up leaving NZ, and my family, and returned to BsAs (long story) hoping to find work there. In the end I was offered work in Nueva Palmira, Uruguay. I have recently left that job as I am now married to a lass from MVD, so am now looking for work in the capital.

NZ is what you make of it and it is not for everyone, having said which there are many instances of "yo yo" expats, who move to NZ individually or as a family, then after a while get home sick, go back to their roots, then quickly realis they felt happier and more secure in NZ, and so return.

My then Uruguayan girlfriend came with me on a visit to my sons/NZ and was amazed that she could leave her handbag somewhere whilst she looked at clothes etc and that she didn`t have to worry about anyone stealing it.

As mentioned elsewhere, once you are in paperwork that would involve escribanos/abogados here in S.Am and take days, with lots of queuing at different state bodies, can be sorted in 30 mins over there.

Personally I had very little problem understanding the Kiwis and I worked in a company with many Maori.

So this post serves neither to recommend nor put down NZ. I enjoyed my time there, met some great people but ultimately was drawn back to the Latin culture.

Cheers
Ian

Hybrid: since you asked, let me spell it out for you. Your English sucks. It's terrible. Worst on this forum. Your posts are incomprehensible gibberish, unless they're accompanied by pictures of food. So the most reasonable explanation for any communication failure between a native English speaker and yourself is that the problem is you. Finally, I have no idea what race you are, nor do I care, so don't play that card. Good day, sir!

Back