newcomer

miferran

Registered
Hi, my name is Mary. althought\ I am American, my english is not at best. I have been residing here, long time. I enjoy reading some of the post and are always informative. I sign in today, wanting to answer and prehaps
be of help on some of the post published. My email is [email protected] I live in Acassusso. bye bye now.

miferran said:
Hi, my name is Mary. althought\ I am American, my english is not at best. I have been residing here, long time. I enjoy reading some of the post and are always informative. I sign in today, wanting to answer and prehaps
be of help on some of the post published. My email is [email protected] I live in Acassusso. bye bye now.
YOU,RE AMERICAN???:eek::eek::eek:

I'm American too...but from the South, I think because of that it make me less American :(

Lucas, doesn't that make you "South American"? Jaja! Sorry bad joke.

TehDeej said:
Lucas, doesn't that make you "South American"? Jaja! Sorry bad joke.

Mexicans and Canadians are Americans too...but of course they are from North America but they belong to the American continent none-less...therefore they are all Americans.

Same apply on this side of the continent, we are all Americans, you see the continent name is America (no USA or EE.UU) since Cristobal Colon discover it in 1492, from Tierra del Fuego at the top, to Alaska at the bottom all this earth mass is called AMERICA, and you can separate it by different regions if you wish South America, Central America, North America and the Caribbean, but all in all is the American Continent....and people who born, live and die on it are Americans.

The American name is not prerogative and for exclusive use of the United States people

Good lord! This argument is old as dirt.

Yes we are all American, but in English we don't have a word for estadunidense. When I say that I am American in English it is only lack of a better term and I have to keep using that word util we come up with something better. I don't think Americans are actually trying to offend anyone by this or apply that other people are less American.

And if we really want to get down to it real academica espanola actually defines the word americano as someone from the americas or a person from the US.

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=americano

americano, na.
1. adj. Natural de América. U. t. c. s.
2. adj. Perteneciente o relativo a esta parte del mundo.
3. adj. indiano (‖ que vuelve rico de América).
4. adj. estadounidense. Apl. a pers., u. t. c. s.
5. f. Chaqueta de tela, con solapas y botones, que llega por debajo de la cadera.

Lucas said:
Mexicans and Canadians are Americans too...but of course they are from North America but they belong to the American continent none-less...therefore they are all Americans.

Same apply on this side of the continent, we are all Americans, you see the continent name is America (no USA or EE.UU) since Cristobal Colon discover it in 1492, from Tierra del Fuego at the top, to Alaska at the bottom all this earth mass is called AMERICA, and you can separate it by different regions if you wish South America, Central America, North America and the Caribbean, but all in all is the American Continent....and people who born, live and die on it are Americans.

The American name is not prerogative and for exclusive use of the United States people

Here's my take on the matter... We Americans can call ourselves just that because it is part of the name of our country - the United States of America. None of the other countries in the Americas have ''America'' in their name.

laureltp said:
but in English we don't have a word for estadunidense

mcaffa said:
Here's my take on the matter... We Americans can call ourselves just that because it is part of the name of our country - the United States of America. None of the other countries in the Americas have ''America'' in their name.

Too bad, is not the rest of the continent peoples problem, if they did not think about it on independence time, maybe it was because they intuited that all the American continent will be sooner or later under American rule therefore all people will be (american estadunidenses ?)...well okay they are (under) anyway but at least let everyone be an Associated Free State like Puerto Rico a Puertoriquean or American Boricua or for an Argentine an American Argie and so on and so forth...so for the rest of the word we all be seen and called Americans, not only the estadounidenses....if that is the only way to be called American.

BTW, Mary (miferran) welcome to the crazy baexpats world and sorry by the extend off topic, you are welcome to discuss and debate any post as you see fit, this one for example is a good starter.

Lucas said:
maybe it was because they intuited that all the American continent will be sooner or later be under American rule therefore all people will be

...Probably not, I think the whole issue probably wasn't heavily discussed or thought about at that time, the rest of America was under Spanish, Portuguese of French rule at the time anyways. Plus, I think it was taken that each citizen would primarily be a citizen of their state and after a citizen of the nation that was being formed. Ex. Someone from Maryland would say that they are a Marylander.

I personally introduce myself as a Minnesotan when I meet people, not that I am not proud to be a American of the United States, but because I believe Minnesotan defines me better.

I agree, this argument is old as dirt.

I'm with GuilleGee, this is a fantasy of many wealthy South Americans that some day the US will come in and "take over" their country, as if we would want it. American businesses have interests in the South, but the US is not interested in controlling South America. It would mean adding millions of bodies to the count with out an equal amount of gross product to even it out.

I call myself an American because I am from the United States of America and in English it sounds stupid to say I'm a United Statesian. Everyone knows what I mean and only other Americans have ever corrected me, never anyone from other parts of the Americas.

I wonder if Mary means she was born in the US but grew up here, when she say's she's "American"...

Back