newcomer

Ahhh the good ol' ' soy Americano' debate, a staple of expat life in Buenos Aires. I've enjoyed a few good beers going back and forth over that question. For good measure, next time you find yourself in that discussion, just find a way to throw out the fact that there are, indeed, 7 continents on the planet, and see what kind of response you get from the Argentines, or Argentinians, as the case may be.

bsas said:
find a way to throw out the fact that there are, indeed, 7 continents on the planet, and see what kind of response you get from the Argentines, or Argentinians, as the case may be.

Ah yes, the 5 vs 7 continents debate. I remember when I first moved down here I mentioned the 7 continents and everyone looked at me as if I were a complete moron.

mcaffa said:
Ah yes, the 5 vs 7 continents debate. I remember when I first moved down here I mentioned the 7 continents and everyone looked at me as if I were a complete moron.

I feel moronic myself, because I've no idea what that debate is. Could you please explain?

At tender age in the school they are inculcated that there are two continents in America one part belongs to them (America) and other part for the rest of us (you guess the name) anything from South America, Latin America, South of the Border, Down There, Mas Alla de Rio Grande etc. etc.....if that is not :mad: I don't know what it is.

The Olympic rings represent the 5 main continents in the Olympics. These continents are: Oceania (Includes Australia), Asia, America (North, Central, Caribbean and South), Europe, Africa...Five = Five Rings

Olympic.gif

Then there is Antarctica no inhabitants to compete therefore no representative ring, but a continent noneless, all in all there are 6 continents...not seven.

Lucas said:
At tender age in the school they are inculcated that there are two continents in America one part belongs to them (America) and other part for the rest of us (you guess the name) anything from South America, Latin America, South of the Border, Down There, Mas Alla de Rio Grande etc. etc.....if that is not :mad: I don't know what it is.

The Olympic rings represent the 5 main continents in the Olympics. These continents are: Oceania (Includes Australia), Asia, America (North, Central, Caribbean and South), Europe, Africa...Five = Five Rings

Olympic.gif

Then there is Antarctica no inhabitants to compete therefore no representative ring, but a continent noneless, all in all there are 6 continents...not seven.

Oh no, here we go again........:rolleyes:

Not only ''we'' consider there to be seven continents, Lucas...

From Wikipedia:
North America and South America are now treated as separate continents in India, China, and most English-speaking countries, such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Furthermore, the concept of two American continents is prevalent in much of Asia. However, in earlier times they were viewed as a single continent known as America, with this viewpoint remaining common in the United States until World War II.[13] This remains the more common vision in Spain, Portugal and Latin American countries, where they are taught as a single continent. This use is shown in names as the Organization of American States. From the 19th century some people used the term "Americas" to avoid ambiguity with the United States of America. The plurality of this last term suggests that even in the 19th century some considered the New World (the Americas) as two separate continents.

And some more info here.

mcaffa said:
From Wikipedia:
North America and South America are now treated as separate continents ...

What about Central America? Which America does it belong to?

mcaffa said:

It's even a 4 vs 7 continents debate. Definition changes depending on the country.

And welcome to Mary, the OP. As you can see we've got plenty of free time on BAexpats to discuss vital issues !

Lucas said:
Same apply on this side of the continent, we are all Americans, you see the continent name is America (no USA or EE.UU) since Cristobal Colon discover it in 1492, from Tierra del Fuego at the top, to Alaska at the bottom all this earth mass is called AMERICA, and you can separate it by different regions if you wish South America, Central America, North America and the Caribbean, but all in all is the American Continent....and people who born, live and die on it are Americans.

The Vikings very likely discovered America before, not mentionning the Phenicians, maybe the Chinese too, and why not the Romans as well !

SaraSara said:
What about Central America? Which America does it belong to?

In school and in college, I was always taught that Central America is technically part of North America since it is not on the South American land mass.

Obviously, this is debatable and I am sure someone will soon chime in stating otherwise.

Back