News In The Usa Is Argentina Might Default Again

Right, did you read the report or just quickly google "fracking startup" and barf out the results here?
As a matter of fact, some 11-12-13 years ago I was informed of shale oil and it's problems and capital costs by an petroleum geologist friend of mine. Since then I have kept myself reasonably informed on the subject.

I have checked up on Vaca Muerta.
It is not a 'shale oil' field, but mainly a marl 'tight oil' and a shale gas field, which means that the extraction is much simpler than for real shale oil, it can be done by using hydraulic light mud to create small cracks in the marl and squeeze the oil out; no need for open or underground mining, pyrolysis, hydrogenation, nor thermal dissolution.

When the exp<b></b>ression 'shale oil' is used for 'tight oil', this may lead some people to believe, that it actually is 'shale oil', although it is something else.

According Bloomberg "If YPF’s initial (US)$1.2 billion pilot with Chevron is successful by March 2014, the joint venture will invest as much as (US)$16 billion to pump shale oil and gas from the area surrounding Anelo, bringing almost $9 billion of royalties to Neuquen, said lawmaker Luis Sapag in a telephone interview." http://www.bloomberg...ina-credit.html

Back