Nice Places to Eat for Under 20 pesos

JHB1216

Registered
I have this nice little local restaurant in my barrio called "Al Medio Dia" that is located on Bulnes between Humahuaha and Guardia Vieja.

Why do I bother tell you guys about this place? Well it is a little place that does not open till 1300 and they only have one thing on the menu for lunch. That is whatever they are serving that day. I have been there about 5 times over the last month and have not had the same thing twice.

They serve Columbian cuisine and the two cooks David and Natali (hope that I am spelling their names correctly) always put something good on the table. You might have to wait a little longer than the typical restaurant as the cook is usually the waiter/waitress but it is worth the wait.

The cost of the three course meal is 15 pesos....

I hesitate to reply, as this little gem could soon become overcrowded.

But in the spirit of generosity shown here I will anyway.
1810 Julian Alverez y Guatamala serves artisanal food daily from 2030 also I think at lunch time. Empanadas, Locro, and other dishes from Tucaman all very cheap. Just do not go too often or they may realise and put the prices up.;)

There is a restaurant on Rodriguez Peña off Santa Fé called Cumaná that has fantastic Argentinean food for under 20 pesos an entree. It's a really popular spot so if you go at peak hours there is always a wait, but it's worth it! On Sundays I like to watch sports at Casa Bar, which is across the street, and eat dinner at Cumaná (which will also deliver next door, or to anywhere in the neighborhood).

Most restaurants acros the city will serve lunch ( menu ejecutivo ) in the 20 ish peso range ( with a drink and dessert ) the thing is to find a good deal for dinner imho. Demashk is good for middle eastern, the place is not fancy though ( actually very basic ) but they have good shawarma and hummus, you can eat for less than 20 pesos. It is on Charcas 3816.

nikad said:
Demashk is good for middle eastern, the place is not fancy though ( actually very basic ) but they have good shawarma and hummus, you can eat for less than 20 pesos. It is on Charcas 3816.

That sounds great. I am just amazed at the chef, David, at La Aromatica at Bulnes 873. I have been there over 8 times in the last 3 weeks and there is always something different. It is always vegetarian for lunch. The Columbian cuisine and variety of this restaurant is incredible.

tangobob said:
I hesitate to reply, as this little gem could soon become overcrowded.

But in the spirit of generosity shown here I will anyway.
1810 Julian Alverez y Guatamala serves artisanal food daily from 2030 also I think at lunch time. Empanadas, Locro, and other dishes from Tucaman all very cheap. Just do not go too often or they may realise and put the prices up.;)

I like this place! It's yummy!
My only caveat: don't bother with dessert. They look much better than they taste.

& thanks for the tip on Al Medio Dia. I'm going to try that one out next week.

what is *the* Columbian dish to order?

I have never knowingly eaten Columbian food.

The most known colombian dish is " bandeja paisa " ( an assortment of ground beef, rice, beans, sausage, tarepas, fried pork fat, avocado and fried egg )

nikad said:
The most known colombian dish is " bandeja paisa " ( an assortment of ground beef, rice, beans, sausage, tarepas, fried pork fat, avocado and fried egg )

I will take all of that...

To be honest with you I don't know what I am eating half the time and there is no choice at lunch. But I have never eaten Columbian food before so I can't say if this is a typical restaurant or not. I know that I have never had what nikad describes above because it is strictly vegetables on the menu. I have never not eaten anything that he has served...

But his typical lunch will have a small appetizer. It could be fried eggplant or what looks like a little pizza looking thing with veggies on it. The main dish will have rice, beans and a salad. Then the desert will be something with fruit. It has been a real treat for me and well within my budget.

Be warned though he does not open his doors for lunch until after 1:00 and sometimes later...

Back