No commercial flights until September 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, let the airlines fail, once flights resume new airlines will take their place. Any 'bailouts' for them should instead go directly to their employees.

I’m not sure that reflects the reality in Argentina.

AR would be a state monopoly, as it was for a long time and I experienced first hand, it was not good for jobs or the community or the economy.

Their employees still went on strike. Airfares were prohibitively expensive. They (together with K governments and various other state owned monopolies) aggressively blocked entry to new airlines and repeatedly placed anti-competitive roadblocks on LATAM both major and petty (Eg refusing their planes to use finger piers and make their pax take a bus to a remote stand) There was less domestic tourism. Their were less international tourists visiting the interior. The cost to the state exceeded US$3m a day in “bailouts”, The airline never made a profit.

JetSmart, FlyBondi and LATAM do not make big profits like say North American Airlines. At the best of times margins are paper thin - you have a $100m aircraft with 180 seats costing $10k an hour to fly and if you make a profit of $3 per pax... amazing. LATAM has gone 3-5 years without making money off Argentina.

If they go, no one will replace them in Argentina for a long time or until a regime change at least. Next time rich expats want to go home or explore the country they will complain about high fares. Next time middle class Argentines want to fly, they take a bus.

antipodean, what do you think the chances are of commercial flights running before September? I see the IATA is upset.

IATA may be upset at how airlines are being treated but it doesn't change the reality of the virus situation globally or what is going on in Argentina.
Perhaps domestic flights and some flights to other "closed" countries can happen earlier, that door is already left open.

There will however be no internationally coordinated or rapid opening of borders. Until countries have the virus under control they will be locked out by other countries who do have it under control wanting to protect their own, making travel to and from these places very difficult. I am guessing the US and Brazil will be last on the list since the virus is anything but under control in those countries.

The ONLY safe bet is the next repatriation flight if you need to be out of Argentina before 01SEP. Otherwise, you are taking a very big and potentially lengthy, frustrating and expensive gamble if you plan on leaving before 01SEP.

Last edited:
I still don't get what Argentinas strategy is. The current model is unsustainable long term, there are fuck all cases here. What does the new normal look like. Countries who started at the same time are already opening back up and you have dumb old Argentina still locking citizens outside and not letting people even walk to the park. Argentina stop trying to be smart and just copy the Australian model. You notice they didn't ban their own people from coming home yet somehow they have less deaths and more freedoms than Argentina. Wow

BTW I have never seen a group so paranoid by a flu virus as the Argentines. Its like people think you are going to die if you step outside FFS.. stop the brainwashing. This should be a wake up call for everyone to get healthy and improve their diets so they can fight this virus like the body is meant to.

I still don't get what Argentinas strategy is. The current model is unsustainable long term, there are fuck all cases here. What does the new normal look like. Countries who started at the same time are already opening back up and you have dumb old Argentina still locking citizens outside and not letting people even walk to the park. Argentina stop trying to be smart and just copy the Australian model. You notice they didn't ban their own people from coming home yet somehow they have less deaths and more freedoms than Argentina. Wow
Australia is an island. It makes no sense to compare Argentina with Australia. They have half the population than us, they do not have the local epidemic we share with Brasil like dengue and zika, we do not have the same wealth or poverty than Australia.
You can Argentina compare it with Brasil. There they have no less than 6000 deaths and 87k cases while we have 218 deaths and 4428 cases. Simple.

BTW I have never seen a group so paranoid by a flu virus as the Argentines. Its like people think you are going to die if you step outside FFS.. stop the brainwashing. This should be a wake up call for everyone to get healthy and improve their diets so they can fight this virus like the body is meant to.

What appears irrational to some here may in fact have been well thought out. When the country emerges from the health crisis the private sector will be ruined. Guess who will take over.

While Alberto is occupied with the virus, Cristina keeps getting her people into key positions. This week she got control of the ANSeS coffers - billions of pesos, 38% of the national budget.

She also carried out her initiative to set jailed criminals free, and saddled poor Alberto with the political downfall of her decision.

Sad to say, she's a masterful operator, untroubled by scruples.

Last edited:
While Alberto is occupied with the virus, Cristina keeps getting her people into key positions. This week she got control of the ANSeS coffers - billions of pesos, 38% of the national budget.

She also carried out her initiative to set jailed criminals free, and saddled poor Alberto with the political downfall of her decision.

Sad to say, she's a masterful operator, untroubled by scruples.

CFK and Nestor took over the private pension funds and nationalized them converting dollar accounts to devalued pesos. Strange things happened. Strange things are happening now.

Strange this do happen . El cuervo Larroque Kirchnerista Promoted..!
Gas has dropped 90 % during quarantine , so have oil prices . However gas at the Pum on services stations will remain fixed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back