No commercial flights until September 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governments with so called 'great' healthcare systems like Argentina have instead turned out to be anything but great and severely lack the basics required for an event like this.
I think that great is not the proper word, universal health care is better because 100% of the inhabitants have access to it.

Argentina has 10,000 intensive care beds with 10,000 respirators, but yeah interesting idea you had.

The problem is Argentina probably doesn’t have that. All beds are counted/reported by the various municipalities. It has emerged that they have been overreporting—lying — in order to claim more money from the central government for many years.

What is the long term strategy, really? To keep everyone locked up at least until September? Until a vaccine is available? My understanding has always been that the majority of people are going to be exposed to covid-19, and need to be exposed to it, to achieve herd immunity. The point of the initial lockdown was to make sure everyone didn’t get it at once and overwhelm the healthcare system. Now, with with the slow reopening in many countries, the expectation is that there will be some increase in infections, but they will be spread out over time. Elderly people, babies and those with underlying health conditions (including, it seems, obesity) will be encouraged, but not required, to continue to shelter in place. Social distancing will continue. Hopefully, by keeping most of the high-risk groups at home, those who do get the virus will mostly have no symptoms or mild to moderate symptoms, and those who get severe cases will be able to be treated in hospitals. These countries will increase their levels of herd immunity. I can’t see another way to do it, despite the risks involved. Can we really just be frozen for many more months? We’re hearing encouraging news about vaccine development and treatments, but their availability is far off. I can’t understand how anyone thinks we’re just going to wait this out in our homes until there is a vaccine. I’m already worried not only about the economy, but about civil unrest.

I think that great is not the proper word, universal health care is better because 100% of the inhabitants have access to it.
This is severely misguided. If you ever went near a hospital you would realise how wrong you are. Most hospitals are understaffed, overworked with very poor equipment and lack of beds. Go visit an emergency waiting room any night of the week to see how great free healthcare is. Wait times over 12 hours. The ideal solution is a model like Australia's which is primarily private but also offers public medicare aid to those who need it. The issue with Argentina is the economy is shit so too many depend on the public aid instead of having private. The infrastructure lacks investment as well which is why the quality is poor. I know it hurts because its supposed to be one of Argentinas shining lights but healthcare here is NOTHING to cheer about at all when compared to most first world countries. Trust me I know - as I said many of my relatives work directly in the system (both private and public). This is not hearsay. I also have friends who work in the "top" Buenos Aires hospitals.

What is the long term strategy, really? To keep everyone locked up at least until September? Until a vaccine is available? My understanding has always been that the majority of people are going to be exposed to covid-19, and need to be exposed to it, to achieve herd immunity. The point of the initial lockdown was to make sure everyone didn’t get it at once and overwhelm the healthcare system. Now, with with the slow reopening in many countries, the expectation is that there will be some increase in infections, but they will be spread out over time. Elderly people, babies and those with underlying health conditions (including, it seems, obesity) will be encouraged, but not required, to continue to shelter in place. Social distancing will continue. Hopefully, by keeping most of the high-risk groups at home, those who do get the virus will mostly have no symptoms or mild to moderate symptoms, and those who get severe cases will be able to be treated in hospitals. These countries will increase their levels of herd immunity. I can’t see another way to do it, despite the risks involved. Can we really just be frozen for many more months? We’re hearing encouraging news about vaccine development and treatments, but their availability is far off. I can’t understand how anyone thinks we’re just going to wait this out in our homes until there is a vaccine. I’m already worried not only about the economy, but about civil unrest.
As I said there is no strategy - so far they are trying to lock as many people inside for as long as possible while running around saying how great they are at reducing COVID deaths. This virus is going NO WHERE. The only thing that would support such a long lockdown is they realised how fucked they would be if cases increased quickly because of how poor the healthcare system is. Thats why they prioritised planes to china to pickup PPE. Of course they would never admit that. I'm hearing that most people have had enough and come May 10 there will have to be a relaxation nation wide or civil unrest will start to occur and no one wants that.

I was really impressed by how Argentina handled the situation initially. And staunchly supported the lockdown. However, as time passed I realized how poorly planned this whole thing as been. Officials are acting out of FEAR and not common sense. You have tio Alberto in Olivos listening to a bunch of questionable epidemiologists -- in the mean time letting CFK run the country through her cronies. The easiest thing to do when you have no plan is to just shut everything down and keep kicking the can down the road.

Well, sorry for disturbing you with facts, but you have over 64k deaths in the US for not quarantine.
No one's arguing that the US death rate isn't high (due to NYC which is an outlier). The argument is that Argentina doesn't have a realistic long term plan. Sure the data looks great now (few deaths!) but you can't keep everyone locked in their houses forever. There needs to be a coordinated plan to slowly let low risk populations resume their lives. I'm currently in Mendoza so I'm watching day to day the management of the COVID-19 handling.

I believe the strategy is to keep as many people off circulation due to the poor health system ( to avoid a massacre ). Both the public and private facilities are very weak.

I was really impressed by how Argentina handled the situation initially. And staunchly supported the lockdown. However, as time passed I realized how poorly planned this whole thing as been. Officials are acting out of FEAR and not common sense. You have tio Alberto in Olivos listening to a bunch of questionable epidemiologists -- in the mean time letting CFK run the country through her cronies. The easiest thing to do when you have no plan is to just shut everything down and keep kicking the can down the road.
Argentina NEVER has a plan. That is no surprise. You name it: health, education, economy and the list goes on. We improvise, always. It is usually a curse, a few times a blessing.

When you have 8000000 out of 45000000 working, paying taxes and contributing into the system, you have a big problem, that is Argentina's: a country that needs to generate about 20 million jobs. Only then we could decide and or invest in public health, anything that is being done is almost charity with public funds and monetary emission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back