No Curry Paste In Barrio Chino

Yep, when you're coming from the bus/train station onto arribeños, the first street on your right has a large supermarket with the green curry paste. It's a supermarket on the left hand side of the road (from where you'd be facing) with a large fish bit at the back and a restaurant type food stall inside on the left hand side.
Was at Chinatown today many many packets of all the coloured curry pastes..

I went back today as well and found more than enough of every type in the big market off Mendoza. Also, fish sauce. Just finished murdering some panang beef. Thx all.

Thai curry paste -- there has been some in chino town however if you compare its quality with that from say the USA -- it is like night and day. When I came to BA in January I brought with me enough for a year or perhaps two depending on how fast I might use it. The white pepper is another commodity there which does not measure up well either as it is too gritty and not really a powder at all. One needs to travel with the correct ingredients especially if you like to cook Thai food like I do as I learned this type of cooking from a Thai friend I have known for a long period of time.. A few days ago I returned to the USA -- so today I was out scouring the Asian markets purchasing all the products I wish for my cooking here. The nice thing where I am many of the products are fresh ones and not dried ones like there too. If you like specialized foods best if you bring them with you. It is allowed. Tonight I made a wonderful Green Curry -- it tasted fantastic with fresh Magrut leaves from my own property.

Soo funny..I'm here in the US now scouting out all the ethnic food products I can bring back to BsAs to keep me sated in style for the next 6 months. It's funny how your shopping-at-home priorities change over the years of ex-pat living..just last year my first stop would be the Apple store. Now it's the ethnic food aisles of every supermarket I enter!

I went back today as well and found more than enough of every type in the big market off Mendoza. Also, fish sauce. Just finished murdering some panang beef. Thx all.

Are you sure about the fish sauce? I looked on Saturday and didn't see any. I saw oyster sauce, but that is a different thing.

Are you sure about the fish sauce? I looked on Saturday and didn't see any. I saw oyster sauce, but that is a different thing.

5s0018_salsa_pescado_calamar.jpg

Quite sure. I bought a bottle. Squid brand, all Thai lable and a picture of a squid on the bottle. There were a couple. I saw the oyster sauce you speak of as well.

Best curry paste is found in the Asian Markets here in the USA --- have your friends bring it to you on their next trip to the south -- the curry paste in barrio chino is not a good example of what is available here in the usa as our product comes direct from Thailand. If you purchase it here in the States pay attention to the expiry dates on the packages. Enjoy!

Back