No imported foods anymore????

For anyone who cares, I called Dame Mani and they said that they will still be available in Argentina. There is no problem with supply. The peanut butter, including the peanuts, is completely made in Argentina.

steveinbsas said:
Bob, Are you trying to be funny?

Next time give us a little tounge at the end of your post so we'll know for sure.:p

Your right it wasn't very funny, remind me not to post when I've had a couple of drinks.

I was trying to be satirical, trying to sound like some here that whatever the government is doing must be good (right?), and that if you object even better and harsher measures will follow.

The whole can you find peanut butter thing is kind of silly. I haven't eaten any in probably 20 years. I don't think its disappearance would be any major culinary loss. Kind of odd though as I believe Argentina is the worlds #2 peanut producer.

There was a scare of this kind around the same time last year that everything that supposedly had an equivalent produced in Argentina was going to be discontinued. There were dry periods where things disappeared from the shelves, but so far... nothing has happened.

Still, it's always prudent when in Argentina to stock up (!) on products that you like because even if they aren't discontinued, they may later be double or triple the price.

Can anyone send a link of the law that changed? I can believe argentina would hike up tariffs, but they make a lot of money off of import tariffs that I can't seem the banning outright the import of foods.

Not saying you're wrong, just very interested in what the new law actually is :)

gouchobob said:
. I haven't eaten any in probably 20 years. I don't think its disappearance would be any major culinary loss.
ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ^

While we're at it, can we "disappear" dulce de leche too?

Edit: Has anybody seen grey poupon recently. A little over a year it was everywhere, then, about a year ago, it was nowhere to be found. So I had a friend bring me a ton of it from the US, and I've been getting nervous because my supply is running low.

Philip, last time I saw Grey Poupon was in Barrio Chino at Casa China. Also saw it in Jumbo on Acoyte last time I was there. Was most recently in both places approx. 1month ago, but as you know anything can change, and fast.

MizzMarr said:
Philip, last time I saw Grey Poupon was in Barrio Chino at Casa China. Also saw it in Jumbo on Acoyte last time I was there. Was most recently in both places approx. 1month ago, but as you know anything can change, and fast.

If there really is a prohibition on importing these items it doesn't mean they will all vanish from the shelves immediately. The stores always plan months ahead when importing anything and they are still undoubtely working their way through inventories on hand, even if the ban is now in effect.

steveinbsas said:
If there really is a prohibition on importing these items it doesn't mean they will all vanish from the shelves immediately. The stores always plan months ahead when importing anything and they are still undoubtely working their way through inventories on hand, even if the ban is now in effect.

Right, that would make sense. But what I'm saying is that this same rumor was going around this time last year (backed by newspaper articles, etc., unfortunately I couldn't find any in the time I tried to dig some up) but nothing ever happened. It's also unrelated to grey poupon... that comment was more aimed at the fact that once things go away sometimes they don't resurface for awhile.

On the note of the food importation ban, I asked a friend of mine who wrote about it for the Herald last year and she said she hadn't heard anything besides tractors, machinery and sometimes Brazilian fruit shipments getting stuck in aduanas. Largley, I guess, because importers need permissions 6 months in advance to get clearance. Anyway, until I actually see something more than hearsay I'm not going to worry about it this year.

Cheng said:
For anyone who cares, I called Dame Mani and they said that they will still be available in Argentina. There is no problem with supply. The peanut butter, including the peanuts, is completely made in Argentina.

I love the fact that you actually called the company demanding to know the fate of everyone's favorite legume. Hats off to you, sir :D (or ma'am)

Back