No more get-togethers??

@Rich, I was referring to a sentence on the second comment on this thread.
Let's forget about it please and move on.

Hehe Uk man. You just pointed out a paradox. Mostly locals in the "BA expat" community.

John D, sad to hear that. Believe me, other kind of events will motivate people more. At least that's my experience from the past. We should try a series of dinners at people's places taking shifts. Or a biking/rollerblading hangout around Palermo with a picnic after that where people who are not into sports can join after the ride. Activities which make us share much more than just sitting and chatting really count. At least that is my vision....

I feel alone here!
Is there anyone still hanging on here since 2007-2010? Anyone remembers "Captain Dave's" meetings (thanksgiving day, hamburguer's party, and so on) in his mansion in Vicente Lopez? Or ¨Samuel W. Worde's'" vegetarian potlucks in his terrace in Palermo? So many pleasurable moments.
It should be possible to bring all this back!

As was said, there are few expats in residence. I can think of only 5 native born U.S. expats,currently living in BA. Even "Steve in BA" isn't. Yesterday,at Coffee Chat there were 7 attendees.In the past there were a many as 30
The U.S. government no longer has an Ambassador to Argentina..

Thanks John Doe, for your valuable contribution, I can`t remember the countries of Origin of all the US Citizens/expats that attended the Coffee Chats:rolleyes:....

You made me remember all the times we went to Sugar Bar during different election days (in the US) to wait for the results and celebrate (or feel depress, depending on who was the winner hehe).
Those were the days my friend lalalalalala.... (Mary Hopkin)

Last edited:
Couldn't avoid it, sorry. A bit off topic but applies perfectly. I also like the tunes:

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And think of all the great things we would do
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la La la la la la la

Last edited:
Ceviche, thanks, but no thanks. I have lived in BA for many years. All of the U.S. Ambassadors seemed to have been useless. The last one was an embarrassment to the U.S...

Yes Sergio, I really miss the openness of the old expats I used to know. We shared great times together and we eventually became friends. I was hoping to find some people with the same spirit.

Sounds nice to attend to the coffe meetings to get some of the people in the group.
I just thought it could be a good idea to start again the other kind of meetings where (in my opinion) we share more that in a public place just because we interact more. Thanks.

Mc, I won't get into that, sorry. It's not my intention to start a debate. I just want to tell you that I am the most open person you could ever meet. If you read me you can see that I said "some people". For me it's ok, but I just didn't consider it politically correct and I was surprised to read something like that in a forum where most people are supposed to be from the US or Europ. I accept everyone as they are and that's because I've been around people from all over the world almost all my life, and my best friends are from cultures different than mine.
Not starting a debate of any kind, but so happens that the person who made that comment , is neither from Europe, or the US,and yes, we at this forum,need to accommodate those folks too.....i absolutely get what you are saying, however, what i was trying to tell you, is that being politically correct is what in many cases killed the interest of reunions...... some folks became a little too tired of the politically correct police, that's all, enjoy your stay!!!!

Politically correct police jajajaja Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! There used to by a guy that posted here frequently that had never even been to Argentina. I would have liked to seen the look of on some of the faces of the members here when they learned that Donald Trump won. Watching the reactions of the Young Turks was a riot.

At least I know one member is a genuine expat. Even better, he like me, hails from the best country in the world. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back