No More Than Ar$1000 At The Same Cash Reg.

jurarol

Registered
I was doing my weekly grocery shopping, for our family of 5 at Disco. At checkout, once i reached AR$1000, the cashier told me, that for the rest of the stuff i have to pay cash, or go to a different cashier. Since i didn't have enough cash on me, i did have to get all my stuff and get in another line, wait and then pay. WTF!!! Did i miss something, with all this AFIP crap changing every day? Whats a point of all that? Knowing the prices of everyday groceries, how can you not spent more than 1000 for a fam of 5 ??!!

That was a BS answer the cashier gave you. They can and they should start another bill and that's it.

Unless it's written and clearly diplayed company policy, so you're are informed in advance and should not be able to complain but can take your business elsewhere, you can always make a scandal and take it to a Supervisor in a very loud voice, so others get to be aware of this shitty situation.

AFIP mandates that bills over $1000 should be informed to them. That's the supermaret's problem, not yours. You are already charged for their business running costs.
Also the law says that all payements over the amount of $1000 should be made by check. Yet facts say otherwise.

The make a new line at a different cash register is utter BS.

A person that buys more than $1000 with a CC must fill an AFIP form, To avoid delays you can split the purchase with your wife? go to another cashier , or pay cash...!! Elementary

I believe the 1000 peso limit has been in place for a while now, but groceries keep getting more and more expensive so that limit seems obsolete now. Well, at least in real numbers... according to the government you should be able to feed your family with 6 pesos a day. ;)

OK, I'll weigh in on this, simply my opinion, observations and suppositions.

In the past, between 2006 and ~6 months ago, when I used a credit card at Jumbo or Disco, and went over $1000 (pesos), the cashier told me that they had to split the bill, which was a bit of a hassle, simple because it was an extra step, signing twice, etc. I thought, darn you Disco, what a pain in the but. I now believe that this "law/regulation" (that required grocery stores to report purchases over $1000 to AFIP) has been in place for some time, so I suspect that the Jumbos and Discos were actually providing a service to their customers and splitting the bill for them so they would not have to report the purchase to AFIP.

I think recently AFIP said, "hey, we are wise to this, no more splitting the purchase (we want to know not only how much, but what items everyone is purchasing)." So Jumbo/Disco management told their cashiers, no more splitting the bill.

Yesterday I was in Jumbo (prepared to pay cash) and knew that the cartfull (actually of course only partially full) was going to be close to $1000. The cashier, saw the cart and said, "looks like you are going to be over $1000 so I will need your DNI or you will need to finish the purchase at another register" (the wife was not with me to make it easy to split). I said "but I am paying cash" and she said "sorry, it doesn't matter", to which I responded with a smile (not being in any way chauvinist but she was a cute young female) and said, "yeah, I know it is going to be really close because I am aware of the issue", and she said, "paying with cash", "yup", "well OK". The final bill was $1056. I paid and thanked her.

My initial reaction was one of WTF, I don't want this government or any government tracking my purchases (alcohol, fatty foods, etc.) that could of course be shared with insurance companies etc. Unfortunately, I am so accustomed to giving my DNI, that I did not think to say, "I don't have a DNI, what happens then"? Next time, I think I will say that.

One clarification, I am fully aware that the technology and methods for tracking supermarket purchases (when swiping a debit/credit card) has existed for many years in the U.S. at least. In the early 2000s I think, I recall there was some public debate over the use of this information and I believe that the outcome was that the information could not be passed on to third parties like insurance companies and perhaps only to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service that is the "equivalent" to AFIP) under a subpoena and/or audit purposes. In general, I believe that; and I think the American people trust that the info is not shared.

Herein lies a fundamental difference between Argentina and the U.S. There is a degree of good faith/the honor system in the U.S., pay your taxes because some day you might get audited, here, pay your taxes because AFIP is watching your every move a priori!!

It is a bit more than a little disturbing.

This is nothing new, but before, they just let you pay at 900$ and then passed the rest of your goods.

I am less lucky, at my local Disco, when they think it will be more then 900$ they ask for your DNI. I refused to give it, I said they can go until 900$ (credit) and the rest in cash. They refused. Then I said I will go to an other counter and or will come back, whatever.

In the end it wasnt 900$.

In Jumbo they go till $900 and let you pay the rest with another credit card or cash.

It is indeed annoying as I tend to buy a lot at once, to avoid the daily long lines...

I wonder if this is why my discovirtual online shopping is only coming to just under $1000 now? My purchases are normally about $1200, plus the discount coupons that bring it down to right on the one thousand mark, but they always add a second little discount that has no explanation (or leave items off the list) which brings it down to about $950.

Back