No SIMs are Movistar

duanestorey

Registered
I just went down to Movistar to get a SIM for my iPhone 4, and they told me that not only do they not have any microSIMs, but they also don't have any normal SIMs for a few days.

Are there any pay as you go type plans with data at any of the other providers? I'm anxious to get my phone working today if possible.

Thanks.

Why don't you buy a pre-activated chip on the street then? Just look for "Vendo Chips" sign, or ask at closest kiosco or locutorio. They go for 5-10 pesos.

I didn't know that was an option. Are they from Movistar, or someone else?

Movistar has microchips- but maybe you need a plan?

The chips you buy in a kiosk can never be registered to your name. I tried to transfer my number to Personal from the Claro chip that I'd bought in a kiosk, and I wasn't able to because I wasn't registered to that number. When I went to Claro to try to register it and get my name on the account, they said it wasn't possible. Also, I could never take advantage of the promotions I was offered via text because it wasn't registered.

lucha54 said:
The chips you buy in a kiosk can never be registered to your name.

I transferred Movistar chip to my name. They even have an option on their website to submit a "cambio de titularidad" request. It is a hassle, they call you, switch you to arbitrary plans etc. But it is definitely doable.

If you are on a prepaid plan, does it make such a big difference what name it is registered to?

admin said:
I transferred Movistar chip to my name. They even have an option on their website to submit a "cambio de titularidad" request. It is a hassle, they call you, switch you to arbitrary plans etc. But it is definitely doable.

If you are on a prepaid plan, does it make such a big difference what name it is registered to?

Maybe it works with second-hand Movistar chips... all I know is that with my second-hand Claro chip it was not possible. The point of being registered is that you can login online, take advantage of promotions, change your settings for your account (whether prepaid or if u want to change to contract) and most importantly, take your number to another company if you want to switch! which I was not able to do :(

Movistar wouldn't change it to my name either. Personal is running low on micro sims too according to my GF who went to pick one up the other day. Maybe a problem in the factory? I have micro sims from all 3 companies so I know they at least exist.

Maybe this is already known, but just in case not everyone is aware- A normal SIM can be cut to the microSIM size. The SIM itself is the same, only the form factor is different.

If you ask nice they can cut it for you in a shop that sells cellphones.

That's a good point, and I had to do it this time as well. I'm so used to doing it in various countries that I can do it pretty quickly. I usually just overlap my current microSIM on top of the new one, making sure to line up where the contacts are, then simply use a pair of small scissors and cut around it. It's never not worked for me.

Back